Bogus Trade Stimulators

Go here to learn about what slot machines and trade stimulators are showing up as fakes and/or reproductions.

Re: Bogus Trade Stimulators

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:26 am

cpdretired wrote:Auction results for the bogus trade stimulators for 1/19.
Item #1 $450
33 $650
174 $575
175 $700
360 $750
361 $1300

Yes, the Las Vegas Butcher Shop screwed a few more patrons on Saturday.
Only this time, he lost money on a couple. Item #175 was purchased on eBay
last Oct., for $1,011.66, and it just sold for $700 plus the juice. Poor Butcher! :lol:
Never even bothered to touch up the paint loss in a few spots. But did make two
more holes in the top, to mount the phoney marquee. Also unloaded the gumballs
that it had in it. Guess they will be sold seperately on eBay, next time he is "Cleaning
Out The Shop", and advertised as RARE!

Some other prices seemed a little soft this time around. Except for the really good
stuff. Maybe more people a wising up for a change. See you in the Forum tomorrow.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby leospanner » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:11 pm

I was planning on going to the auction, so I appreciate all of these comments. The numbers listed that say for the current auction in October don't seem to match the descriptions? I truly want to stay away from reproductions so I willing accept any help this forum can give me. If anyone wants to post which items at the October auction look to be reproductions I would be greatly appreciative it. I'm also interested in knowing which slot machines are bogus. Thanks to everyone who posts for this great hobby.
leospanner

Postby bakerb95619 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:37 pm

The comments prior to yours are dated January. No one has mentioned yet if there are any phony machines in the next October auction, although there is usually at least one of the "Play Ball" machines that are made in India.
bakerb95619

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:05 pm

leospanner wrote:I was planning on going to the auction, so I appreciate all of these comments. The numbers listed that say for the current auction in October don't seem to match the descriptions? I truly want to stay away from reproductions so I willing accept any help this forum can give me. If anyone wants to post which items at the October auction look to be reproductions I would be greatly appreciative it. I'm also interested in knowing which slot machines are bogus. Thanks to everyone who posts for this great hobby.

My following report of coin-op machines of the upcoming October VCA auction, is not just for Reproduction machines, but for Bogus and incorrect
examples as well. I can tell a lot from just a single photo, but inside shots would help even more. If you are attending the auction, you have to do
a thorough examination of anything that interests you, as many machines are just polished and repainted on the outside, to draw your attention,
and left all dirty & grubby on the inside, because most of the 'hamburgers' do not know how to work on the innards. Surprisingly, there are a very
few chosen items listed as 'Contemporary', (even though many people do not know the real meaning of the word). They stay completely away from
the word 'REPRODUCTION', even though they know full well which ones are, and they sure as hell aren't going to tell their investors that place phoney
items in the auction, that they "can't do it". God forbid! So, here we go...................

Item #1 - Originally a Buckley "Cent-A-Pack", that has had the top nameplate removed, along with the cig. strips & card, and replaced with repro fruit
strips & card. A little polish & paint, and surely nothing done inside. Does it even have a door?
Item #25 - Caesar's Palace 1990's Toy Slot from the Franklin Mint. (Not noted what it really is).
Item #89 - Groetchen "Imp" (repaint - not an original color).
Item #394 - REPRO Pace "Whiz Ball" (listed as contemporary).
Item #481 - REPRO (same as above).
Item #502 - Originally a Buckley "Cent-A-Pack", (with same stuff removed as item #1). Installed repro Groetchen "Tavern" reel strips, and a reprinted
award card, with the name "Bar Boy". This is a complete PHONEY, as there never was a such machine as a Buckley "Bar Boy". Two people
have been snookered with one of these creations in the past on eBay, and one made the Butcher take the machine back.
Item #504 - REPRO (same as #394 & 481 above).
Item #523 - (same as item #1 above).
Item #528 - Buckley machine, with orig. strips & card, but with horrible paint job.
Item #551 - Jennings "Witch". Guaranteed to be one of the many REPRO's, as there are not many originals known. Be very careful.
Item #554 - Jennings "Chief" 'light-up'. (Possibly one of the numerous Phoney made-up models from the Vegas Butcher Shop).
Item #611 - Mills "Pioneer Club" Hi-top 'light-up' with formica cabinet. (Not that familiar with this IFFY machine).
Item #666 - Yale "Wonder Clock" (Not many originals exist). If this is a pristine restoration, that's good. But it could be an excellent Repro. Only close
examination, inside and out, by an expert, will tell the true story on this one.
Item #673 - Jennings "Chief" 'light-up' console. (May also be a made-up version, and not original).
Item #725 - Exhibit "Select-Em" with home-made playfield card.
Item #731 - Rockola "Official Sweepstakes" (REPRO from the 2000's).
Item #759 - Bennett "Deuces Wild" mechanism, placed in what looks to be an old mantel clock case. (Made-up Phoney).
Item #763 - Groetchen "Sparks" (missing metal badges, and incorrect repaint).
Item #764 - Daval "Reel Dice" (with home-made reel strips and incorrect repaint).
Item #765 - Daval "American Eagle" (incorrect repaint).
Item #955 - WOW! an Original Mills 10c "War Eagle" :D Where did this emerge from? GO FOR IT Boys!
Item #998 - "Smilin Sam" REPRO (and stated as such).
Item #1166 - Mills "Wizard Fortune Teller" (late model), in incorrect home-made wood case, (and stated as such).
Item #1180 - Griswold "Wheel Of Fortune" with sloppy repainted glass, and incorrect marquee frame.
Item #1181 - Late REPRO of the Drushell "Roll Skill". (These show up on eBay all the time).
Item #1203 - Rockola "Official Sweepstakes" (Looks like original with some new parts, and background scene is pieced, and not correct).
Item #1216 - Mills "Wizard Fortune Teller" (early model). Only came in 1c play. (Someone has changed to 5c play).
Item #1280 - Mills 5c "Lion Head" (Could be a restored original - but be careful, as these have been Reproduced since the 1970's).
Item #1289 - Rockola "Official Sweepstakes" (Looks like original with replaced inside parts).
Item #1367 - Mills "Dewey" with reworked Mills style head, for single coin play, Caille Lone Star name badge, and Caille Play Quarters
top sign. Has incorrect wheel, and not showing non-orig. mech. Also, possibly many recast parts, and not in cast iron.
Item #1440 - English 1d Single Wheel - That everyone likes to call a 50c "Ben Hur", which it is NOT, and never will be.
Item #1460 - Fey style REPRO 1c "3 Jacks". These have been highly reproduced, which can be easily detected from an original.
Item #1635 - Pace "Base Ball" REPRO. (Not noted).
Item #1691 - Two General Automatic Amusement REPRO Watling "Rol-A-Top" cases. (Noted as such. But you know they would not say
a thing about Repro, if they were complete, working machines).
If any of our readers, that even care about people getting ripped-off, are going to this auction, please spread the word about the above.

It sure is strange that there are not as many of the 'Bogus - Fantasy' Trade Stimulators, from the Las Vegas Butcher in this auction, as
there has been in all the previous auctions. I know he has several to butcher, as I have seen some of what he has bought. Guess he is
saving them to rip-off people at the Chicago show.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby dancerdan » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:11 am

THIS REPLY IS DIRECTED TO SLOT DYNASTYS GREAT EVALUATION ON THE VEGAS AUCTION
WITH ONE MAJOR COMPLAINT. HE IS STARTING TO PAINT EVERYTHING WITH THE SAME BRUSH.

WHEN YOU ARE CERTAIN YOU MAKE NO BONES ABOUT IT AND THAT IS GREAT, BUT WHEN YOU BURY
OTHER ITEMS THAT ARE ORIGINAL, ALL IN THE SAME LIST IT IS NOT FAIR TO THE READER, (AND WOUYLD YOU BELIEVE
THE PERSON WHO PUT IT IN THE AUCTION) I REALIZE THE AMOUNT OF TIME ENVOLVED, BUT WHY NOT SEPARATE THE GOOD,
FROM THE KNOWN INCORRECT AND FAKES. THIS WAY THE READER CAN FOCUS , RESEARCH AND DECIDE AND CALL THE AUCTION H OUSE
FOR MORE INFORMATION.

-THIS IS THE BREAK OUT FROM YOUR LIST.

ITEM # 89 ORIGINAL IMP- BAD PAINT JOB
ITEM #528 ORIGINAL BUCKLY, BAD PAINT JOB
ITEM # 666 WONDER CLOCK666 BECAUSE THERE ARE NOT MANY AROUND, DOES NOT MAKE IT A FAKE .GREAT MACHINE.
ITEM #763 sPARKS ORINIAL BUT MISSSING BADGES AND BAD PAINT J OB DOES NOT MAKE IT a fake
item 765 American Eagle original bad paint kob
**item 998 AN OIGINAL WAR EAGLE
ITEM 1203 LOOKS LIKE AN ORIGIAL- BUT PATCHED SCEENE ( SO BUY A NEW SCENE THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT A FAKE)
ITEM #1216 EARLY MODEL(CHANGED FROM PENNY TO NICKEL DOES NOT MAKE IT A FAKE
ITEM # 1280 COULD BE A RESTORED ORIGINAL

BUT IN RESPECT TO BILL, HE IS STILL THE EXPERT.
dancerdan

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:45 pm

dancerdan:
You are absolutely right. :( I did a horrible job with this listing. I actually thought about splitting the items into different categories,
but I was in a bit of a hurry to get it done, as I was working on another project at the same time. It was easier to run straight through
the list without parking things aside. If there had been several of the Vegas Butcher Fantasy machines, like there always is, I would
have focused more on separation. This will not happen again. I get so wound-up, trying to get the info out to as many of the new
uneducated collectors, that things get twisted together. As much as I screwed this listing up, believe me, I do always use a different
brush for each color! It is really hard at times to make an accurate appraisal from looking at a single photo.
As for the Yale Wonder Clock, I wasn't saying that it was Fake. I simply meant, that any serious bidders should look it over thoroughly.
There are not many originals around, and it hasn't been repo'd in the past, but it's not to say that someone would eventually build one,
when the price range reaches the area this machine is in. This machine looks pristine, and hopefully it is an excellent restored original.
I am going to contact the owner of an original that I know of, and ask his opinion of this one.
There were several other items I noticed that were not correct, but I was only focusing on the coin-op. There also may have been some
3 reelers that slipped by my Spy Glass, but I wasn't looking at every detail on those. If anyone else noticed something about any of them,
please fill us in.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby leospanner » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:35 pm

I love this site. You guys are truly helpful to us newcomers and I as one really appreciate it. I don't mind paying my dues, but I hate getting shafted to many times because of my stupidity. Hopefully with your help this won't happen to much to me. Thanks again for your help.
leospanner

Postby WatlingBird » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:45 pm

There is another auction coming up with a cherry diamond rol a top up for auction.

The link is below.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this item?

I'm not an expert but from the one photo I noticed that the jackpot glass doesn't have chicken wire in it, the 5cent tag is screwed in at 3 and 9 o'clock, rather then 1 and 7 o'clock. And did the diamond rol a tops come with fortune teller reals? Also, the inside wood (seen through the inside bottom left of the picture) looks overly clean/new.

Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/199 ... ot-machine
WatlingBird

Postby altort » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:12 pm

I would stay away from these slots unless they sell under the money, most seem to be over done with the paint and questionable restorations, lot #1173 war eagle has a ROCK-O-LA sticker on cabinet, lot #1178 wolf's head the jack pot is crooked and there is no second hole in the cabinet for the upper handle pump pivot carriage bolt, lot #1188 home made top card, lot #1189 home made handle, and I am sure Bill could pick the trade stimulators apart further.
There is a couple of decent machines, but for the number of machines at this auction, too many are questionable.
altort

Postby watlingboy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:14 pm

Regarding the Cherry front. At some point in its life the mechanism has been switched. This one came out of an early vender front Rol-A-Top. You can't see the second coin detector in the photo but it should be stamped steel and this one would be cast brass. The denomination badge is brass and should be blue and white. You are correct, all horizontal screw patterns are blue and white badges and brass are diagonal or 1 and 7 o'clock. So all cherry fronts should have brass badges, the one exception to this is the penny. Watling never made a penny brass badge but brass repros have been made, I'm always willing to learn new something if someone has one. This holds true whether it is a penny cherry front, penny Bird or penny coint front, all have the blue badge. This is not a machine I would put in my collection.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

PreviousNext

Return to Tips on Identifying Fradulant Machines