A PACE WHAT ??????

Go here to learn about what slot machines and trade stimulators are showing up as fakes and/or reproductions.

A PACE WHAT ??????

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:34 am

Well here's a new one for the WTF category!
It appears that we now have another Butcher in Riverside????????????
NO SUCH ANIMAL as a Pace Saratoga aka "Treasured Chests". :^o
Assuming the play-on wording is due to the risque graphics.
Someone sure went through a lot of Fantasy-Wet-Dreams to create this FAKE!
Why do people continually take machine models that are fairly scarce, to make up their creations?
Those cast legs don't belong, and the top rails, and mounts are not the same as originals.
Hopefully with this creation, an entire case was duplicated, and not using an original early example.

Pace made "Saratoga", "Reels", "Twin Reels", and "Three Play" models, and were produced in several
case styles. Some also came in a wider case, with a Bonus Pinball shooter to the right. There was also
a version with a 4 column mint vender encased in the left side. The "Twin Reels" was a 5c & 10c play
combo, and the "Three Play" was a 5c, 10c, 25c play.
Pace Fantasy 1a.jpg

Pace Fantasy 1b.jpg
SLOT DYNASTY

Re: A PACE WHAT ??????

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:14 am

this has the look of something that would have come from the store "back in the day classics".
they are the ones that have the jennings goosenecks with upright legs, the high tops with caille upright "play quarters" marquees, and all that other goofed up stuuf that destroys machines.
i guess some people just don't get it.
Midcoast Vintage

Postby marsonion » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:07 am

I don't understand what I'm looking at here... where are the reels? Does the sideways, "treasured chests" top glass display represent some kind of play field? I see an award schedule there, a coin entry, a handle... but where's the game--? #-o
marsonion

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:06 pm

marsonion wrote:I don't understand what I'm looking at here... where are the reels? Does the sideways, "treasured chests" top glass display represent some kind of play field? I see an award schedule there, a coin entry, a handle... but where's the game--? #-o

It is a console, with an incorrect top glass, added feet, and possibly more incorrect things.
The reel are views through the top glass.
Click on the link below, and view all of the pictures.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-SARATOG ... 234e01b8ae
Midcoast Vintage

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:11 pm

I just sent the seller this question, as, he had absolutely nothing posted in the description area... as in it was blank:
hi,
can you add some details about thw condition of the machine, whather it works, or not, what is and isn't original, etc.
thank you.
Midcoast Vintage

Postby marsonion » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:23 pm

Midcoast Vintage wrote: It is a console, with an incorrect top glass, added feet, and possibly more incorrect things.

OK thanks-- I see now that the reels were obscured in the picture above by the coin entry, because of the angle of the camera shot. Still, the top glass is sideways to the player no matter how you look at it!
marsonion

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:47 pm

marsonion wrote:
Midcoast Vintage wrote: It is a console, with an incorrect top glass, added feet, and possibly more incorrect things.

OK thanks-- I see now that the reels were obscured in the picture above by the coin entry, because of the angle of the camera shot. Still, the top glass is sideways to the player no matter how you look at it!

Most all console slots of this type, have the mechanism placed sideways, so that you read the symbols
top to bottom, rather than left to right. There are also special reel strips for these machines, with the
symbols printed sideways.
I'm surprised that whoever dreamed-up this Pirate Fantasy Creation, didn't spend a few more bucks, to
have some Phoney artwork created for the reel strips & award card. It's already been done for some of
the Trade Stimulator Phonies.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:05 pm

Midcoast Vintage wrote:I just sent the seller this question, as, he had absolutely nothing posted in the description area... as in it was blank:
hi,
can you add some details about thw condition of the machine, whather it works, or not, what is and isn't original, etc.
thank you.

here is the reply i received from the seller:

Dear midcoastvintage,
The condition is BEAUTIFUL. Cabinet, brass and glass are in display condition (which is all that Ive done with it for 20 years.)The brass shows a bit of wear on front where the handle is used, and a few scratches where the dimes go in. It takes dimes, and works PERFECTLY. I purchased this at auction about 20 years ago for 3200.00. The dime retrieval "door" is well sprung, Although it is mechanical, it has a light inside that comes on when plugged in. The only problem, and it is a small one, is that the inside of the barrel lock is missing. It always has been, but I never had a need to replace it. I believe it is all original except glass graphics.
Thanks,
Dan
- danster_productions
Midcoast Vintage

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:11 pm

Midcoast Vintage wrote:I just sent the seller this question, as, he had absolutely nothing posted in the description area... as in it was blank:
hi,
thank you.

Well, you got your answer: He purchased this at an auction 20 years ago, and the only thing that he
thinks is incorrect, is the glass graphics. Yes, and the cast feet, as well.
If this is true, (and I tend to believe his story), this could have very well been a John Caler creation.
I have never seen this machine version before now, but it fits right in with the sort of thing John was
focused on, in the early years. We all remember his talking Pirate-on-the-Barrel slots, and his fixation
for Star Wars figures. He even made a figure of his son.
Alright midcoast, you have a new assignment. Start looking for the answer to this creation. You're the
only one that is burning up the keys 24/7. :D
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:15 pm

I can understand your logic with the pirate theme having a John Caler flavor, but, I have a feeling this is more of Jim Schafer type concoction.
He is the guy that is putting feet on Jennings operator's bells, cigar signs on Watling blue seals, and Caille upright "play quarter" marquees on high tops and mills goosenecks, and, sells them through "BACK IN THE DAY CLASSICS" in Los Angeles.
I believe John Caler had passed away by the time this modern style graphics had come along. The artwork is fairly modern.
I was familiar with most of John's projects, and, i don't recall seeing anything like this.
John was very talented, but, I don't think this was one of his creations.
Midcoast Vintage

Return to Tips on Identifying Fradulant Machines