Not sure if it is Fantastic or not

This is the place to post about any fantastic find (past or present) that you think the rest of us would enjoy reading about.

Not sure if it is Fantastic or not

Postby kepmr » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:51 pm

Picked this up today from a local dealer, it started out as a Watling 4 column vendor not sure what I have now any help would be great.

Thanks
Attachments
new 003.JPG
kepmr

Re: Not sure if it is Fantastic or not

Postby Denny » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:29 pm

Looks like a Mills escalator and front casting. Does it cycle?
Denny

Postby kepmr » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:20 pm

The upper escalator housing has no numbers on the front says E-Z-ESQ. There are no teeth the coins just roll against each other. The mech does not cycle the clock is gummed up and the reel kicker needs help. Not sure what machine the Silent Salesman plate is from.
kepmr

Postby mechanic » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:14 pm

This is a MORRIS/ Watling Blue Seal revamp. He was in business in 1934 Morris Novelty Co.. Only for a year so he must have lost it all in the depression. Its all I have no city or state. One year cant be a lot out there!
mechanic

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:02 am

kepmr:
This is definitely a Watling "Blue Seal Confections", with a revamp "Silent Salesman"
front plate, by John Morris, in 1923.
I have photos of another similar machine, but it has the standard Watling gooseneck.
As for the "E-Z-ESQ" coin head, I am not sure if Morris also made that conversion, or
someone else did. Oh Dickie, where are you when we need you?
Yes, anything as unusual as this machine, can be considered a 'Fantastic Find' in my book.
You have placed this machine in the correct location.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby kepmr » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:31 am

Bill can you post pictures of the other machine so I can see the award cards not sure if they should Watling or something else. Not sure I understand John Morris being in business in 1934 when the plate is dated 1923 and I think the machine is about 1927. Thanks for all your help so far.

Ken
kepmr

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:52 am

kepmr wrote:Bill can you post pictures of the other machine so I can see the award cards not sure if they should Watling or something else. Not sure I understand John Morris being in business in 1934 when the plate is dated 1923 and I think the machine is about 1927. Thanks for all your help so far.

Ken

Ken:
I just sent a pix of the entire machine direct to you. It does not have the standard type award cards.
They are both instruction cards only. You can also see that it has the original style Watling Gooseneck.

I am not sure where mechanic got the information of John Morris only being in business for one year, in
1934. The cast front plate, clearly indicates it, as being 1923, which I can't seem to put together with a
machine model in the production range of 1928 to 1932. That plate tells me, that it was originally made
for an earlier machine, and was used again on this model, without changing the casting pattern. But, I
don't remember ever seeing that cast plate on any other machine. I have seen more than one version of
a similar casting, used by Silver King Novelty on other machines.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby mechanic » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:04 pm

You have to remember that most operators copied each others stuff and usually reworked existing machines and their parts. It's cheaper to recast an original with your additions which could explain why you have such a date discrepancy. Old machine gets a new life 10 yrs later. We still do it today.
mechanic

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:23 pm

mechanic wrote:You have to remember that most operators copied each others stuff and usually reworked existing machines and their parts. It's cheaper to recast an original with your additions which could explain why you have such a date discrepancy. Old machine gets a new life 10 yrs later. We still do it today.

That pallet-load of Wonka Bars that I sent you, were supposed to last you through the winter.
Sounds to me that you have been chomping on more than your share. I would like a few, when
I come to visit. Go have some leftover Turkey, and cranberry sauce! :D
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby gsx11r » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:24 pm

Hello
Just for add a stone .
This is in the "coin slot guide - ROL A TOP & TREASURY " from Richard Bueschell
Stephane
#9 Watling ROL-A-TOP & TREASURY.jpg
gsx11r

Next

Return to Fantastic Finds