Early Mills 25c Check Boy

This is the place to post about any fantastic find (past or present) that you think the rest of us would enjoy reading about.

Early Mills 25c Check Boy

Postby atac » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:07 pm

OK, a couple weeks ago, I mentioned I hoped to bring another machine forward. It arrived today and I sure consider it a fantastic find. It's a Mills 25c Check Boy. Yes, legit 25c machine from 1907. It came from a fraternal club in Western MI and was with the next owner's family until last week. I told a friend that has 2 check boys about the 25c denomination and he suspected it was French. However, I believe the story about it coming from MI--when it arrived I was quite nicely surprised to find about 150 early tokens with the same number on the front (identifying which machine they came out of) and 25c in trade on the back. It has some issues, but nothing a good cleaning won't resolve. Great condition for 110 years old.
Attachments
IMG_1710 (1).JPG
IMG_1709.JPG
atac

Re: Early Mills 25c Check Boy

Postby Dave » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:30 pm

Congratulations!!!!

I will have to get over to your place to check out your latest finds.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby JHSS-1944 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:49 am

atac;
you lucky B@$*%^# ! who would have thought 25 cent play back then ! Very nice looking machine in general , Now I want one...
.. great shape too. Lucky you!!!
any thing else oddball about how it works ? want to learn some more on this on.
thank you for sharing .
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:44 pm

Hi Tim:
Nice find. I have restored a half dozen "Check Boy" machines over the years, and only one 25c play.
Would like to get the serial for my Update Files, and I am assuming that those tokens have the same number.
You are missing the award card for the front. I have the one with the Medieval symbols, but notice you have
the Design symbols on your reel. I did have to make one these cards at one time, but never printed extras. I
have the artwork somewhere, but not sure where, at the moment. I will look for it, and let you know, should
you want it.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Return to Fantastic Finds