Mills 5c Futurity

This is the place to post about any fantastic find (past or present) that you think the rest of us would enjoy reading about.

Mills 5c Futurity

Postby atac » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:13 pm

Rec'd a call today from someone wanting to sell a Mills slot machine. Looked at the pic and thought the worst. Futurity. Red and green? Mirror over the dial window = no futurity mech. Missing the key. Figure drill the lock and worth about $600 in parts. I bought it and got it home. Decided to break the mirror to see if I could undo the bonnet latches enough to push the lock/door open. Rec'd a nice surprise (see pic 2). Note that the award card is correct with a cover over the "10 consecutive misses pays 10". This could not have been a fun machine to play. Anyway, still haven't made it inside. The cabinet is painted red and the last base glue joint is loose, so may just go in that way since the cabinet needs total refinish anyway. I will update this after I get inside...
Attachments
futurity1.jpeg
futurity2.jpg
atac

Re: Mills 5c Futurity

Postby marsonion » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:10 pm

WOW-- If it's all there, that'll really be fantastic! =P~
marsonion

Postby bkrsdoz » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:39 am

Very nice!
That's a machine I have always wanted to find.
Good luck with it!
Bob
bkrsdoz

Postby atac » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:45 pm

Got the base off far enough to get the door tab out of the base and was able to move the bonnet latches enough to release the bonnet without damaging it. The futurity mech is almost all there--it has all the shifting mech parts including the cam that shifts the brake position. The payout lever is there. It might be missing a spring and lever around the clock, but definitely shouldn't be a tough fix. Any of you that could forward a pic of that top area around the clock would be appreciated. There's no rust inside, the cash box was there, maybe $5 in nickels and they were from the 40's-70's with most dated 1964 and looked brand new. Found one wartime silver nickel.

Anyway, certainly a nice surprise to end up with a nearly complete machine. I'll repost it again when I get it finished and painted...
Attachments
Futurity3.jpg
atac

Postby gsx11r » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:17 am

Hello Atac
Nice shoot !!
Well , some info about your machine.
Some goods , some bads .
The goods :
-You are Lucky , your Mech is nearly complet .
-It s the first version mechanism , hard to find.
-You have the optional link for reset the dial when you use a token with hole.(If you don t need it and that you want to sell it , let me know. =P~ ) .
This link was here when there are a side vendor.

The bad:
-Your mech is nearly complet , missing the link between the clock and the dial ! Arghh ! :evil:
-You don t have the side vendor , but maybe I make a mistake and you don t have the hole for this in the wood side .

Please , Post more photos of the Mech , I hope that you have all the système for the reel stop arm and othe special parts !

Stephane

The missing link :
link futurity.jpg

The optional link for the rest and token with hole.
link 1.jpg

link 2.jpg
link 2.jpg (39.72 KiB) Viewed 6143 times

link 3.jpg
link 3.jpg (41.6 KiB) Viewed 6143 times
gsx11r

Postby atac » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:58 am

Thanks for the pics Stephane. The cabinet has the side vender hole cover. I don't think it ever had a side vender. As near as I can tell, exactly as you pointed out in your pic, the only thing missing is the jointed connecting lever from the lower clock to the dial to increment the dial each play, plus the spring to reset it on a payout. I don't want to sell that other lever, but maybe I can have one made when I'm getting the missing lever made. Let me know if you're interested in that and I'll get back to you when I tackle that. This is probably fairly common with a specialty mech like a futurity, but my casting/cabinet serial number and the label on the mech base match - 380088. Here's a pic of the front of the mech showing the shifting brakes and cam controlling the reel bundle shift. It's complete. Also things like the second coin reject is on the escalator--indicators that this machine wasn't molested too much (other than the hideous paint job-haha).

Also, the machine does not have the gold award strips, but as I've seen before, it has most of the gold award dispenser inside the cabinet, plus it has a gold award bundle, just not the push rod to dispense the token. The original strips are near perfect, so I'm a little conflicted whether to complete the gold award version when I restore it.
Attachments
futurity4.jpg
atac

Postby gsx11r » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:36 am

Hi Atac
here is the two parts that you need to make .hard job .(PM)
part 1.jpg

part 2.jpg

About the other link , if you make one , sure , I buy it !! 8)
About the Gold award , if your bundle is with gold award ,that you have the gold award dispenser Inside and just not the good reel strip , Sure ,change them for a Gold reels strip .Evanthe old was origina !!Keep them for your next Futurity. :twisted:

Stephane
gsx11r

Return to Fantastic Finds