1931 War Eagle Completely Restored

Have a machine for sale? List it here. List reproduction machines at your own risk!

Re: 1931 War Eagle Completely Restored

Postby flipper77 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:37 am

Hi Andy, what a gorgeous original War Eagle. I looked at many War Eagles over the years and always twice a year at the Chicagoland Show. Did see many of the original War Eagle early models with the denomination button as on yours. The early Mills ads for War Eagle such as in the excellent Post Era Antique Slot Machines book show this denomination button. Just confirms you have a true early original though have never seen an explanation why Mills chose to not show denomination. Like you, I tend to seek the early all-original slots even goosenecks which I know do not bring resale money like escalator machines. Just picked up a later Castle Front (single jackpot) - didn't need another slot and pretty beat up but absolutely all original so could not pass it up. Happy Easter!

Flip
flipper77

Postby andydotp » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:44 pm

Cheers Flip, yeah, Happy Easter one & all.
I've attached a photo but can't get it sized correctly so press ctrl- (minus) and you can see other machines behind.
Sorry I'm not cluey with this interweb thingy.
I agree, it's tough when you find an original machine and it's like 'shall I eat next week or buy this'? :?

Here's the Bursting Cherry I found out in the Victorian countryside yonks ago. Paid AU$200 for it. It was a basket case but scrubbed up rather well.
andydotp

Edited out the attempted pics.
Last edited by andydotp on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andydotp

Postby flipper77 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:52 am

Morning Andy. Your pictures did not come through - maybe Dave can post. Well, you excited me with the War Eagle pictures and so I went ahead and bought a nice unrestored nickel War Eagle. My biggest fear was whether it was a real War Eagle or not but this one definitely is. There is a War Eagle on eBay closing tomorrow that looks suspicious to me. I had emailed the seller but no answer. It is item # 200903378962. See what you or the other folks think. Has Club Handle which know is wrong, base doesn't appear to have the two rods through, whole case looks new inside and out and the inside front casting just looks like like redo rather than original. Same seller has a nickel Rol-A-Top with penny vender that he assures is genuine but again when I emailed with questions, he would not answer. Looks like a mixture of parts to me but I may be wrong. #-o Just seems like sellers on eBay or eBay itself should expect a higher degree of item truthfulness.

Flip
flipper77

Postby oldslotman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:26 am

flipper77 wrote:Morning Andy. Your pictures did not come through - maybe Dave can post. Well, you excited me with the War Eagle pictures and so I went ahead and bought a nice unrestored nickel War Eagle. My biggest fear was whether it was a real War Eagle or not but this one definitely is. There is a War Eagle on eBay closing tomorrow that looks suspicious to me. I had emailed the seller but no answer. It is item # 200903378962. See what you or the other folks think. Has Club Handle which know is wrong, base doesn't appear to have the two rods through, whole case looks new inside and out and the inside front casting just looks like like redo rather than original. Same seller has a nickel Rol-A-Top with penny vender that he assures is genuine but again when I emailed with questions, he would not answer. Looks like a mixture of parts to me but I may be wrong. #-o Just seems like sellers on eBay or eBay itself should expect a higher degree of item truthfulness.

Flip

If you look at the payout slides you will see that there is no pin on the top payout slide to trip the jackpot. I see no way the jackpot can work. Plus the handle is from a high top. Mechanism has been welded. Handle return spring not right.
oldslotman

Postby flipper77 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:25 pm

Wow - thanks for the feedback. I did not see the missing jackpot trip. Now convinced this seller is piecing machines together and spinning a story. This seller does sell high dollar slots - wonder if all are suspicious? That Rol-A-Top he is selling has been on eBay for long time and he has turned down multiple offers. Just don't believe that Watling made a nickel Rol-A-Top with a penny gumball vender. Back to the War Eagle - someone will end up buying and be very disappointed. Not right!

Flip
flipper77

Postby andydotp » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Sorry 'bout the pics chaps. Am reluctant to pester our friendly host anymore so will get a computer boffin at work to put all my photos in formats that are postable as attachments..
andy
andydotp

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:28 pm

Flip:
I would most definately stay away from that War Eagle. It has several issues, and seems to be 1/2 original, and 1/2 not.
The case is not correct, and whenever I see one of those later 'Fat' handles, that sends up the first red flag. As for the
seller, I have heard many complaints as to never getting a response to ones questions about slots he is selling. That's
red flag #2. He did answer me once, but it wasn't about a slot.

A really nice, all original, (barn find) 5c War Eagle just sold yesterday for $1,500. See item #300884117719. Now this is
the way to find them. Hope one of our new collectors, and-or Forum group members snagged it. As we want to keep all
the 'Newbies', (yes, I said newbies again), away from all the Phony machines that stare at us on a daily basis.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby flipper77 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:04 am

Thanks Bill. And, yes, guess who just bought that nice but rough barn find all-original War Eagle. Yep, me. Blame it on Andy with his great War Eagle picture. The seller of the barn find War Eagle is a good seller and he answered all of my questions well. If you remembered the pictures, this machine even has the check detection and feed of nickels direct to coin box. Dave talks about that in his excellent video showing the War Eagle with side vendor and deferred pay. Will snap a few pictures of machine when arrives - it is rough and haven't decided whether to just clean up leaving all original or to repaint. With all of the "pretty" fakes - I may just leave all rough original capturing all of the well-earned nicks and bruises through it's 80 year life. I took this approach with my last Rol-A-Top and love it. Appreciate all of the great comment on this site!

Flip
flipper77

Postby andydotp » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:34 pm

flipper77 wrote:Thanks Bill. And, yes, guess who just bought that nice but rough barn find all-original War Eagle. Yep, me. Blame it on Andy with his great War Eagle picture.
:oops:
Don't blame me,,,,,Dave put it there.... :pale:
Look forward to seeing yr pics flip. If you do scrub it up I'm thinkin' flouro orange with lime-green highlights and a gearshift 60's handle. Double in value immediately no?
Oh, and lights, lights!!
tee-heedotp
andydotp

Postby nvmos2 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:37 pm

Flip;

Congratulations on that barn find!
I was really surprised it didn't get more bids;
I was ready to jump on it but forgot to go back for it toward the end.

About the same time, that golden Fake Eagle sells for more than the barn find; go figure.
nvmos2

PreviousNext

Return to Machines For Sale