watling rol-a-top bird of paradise 1934 need help

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: watling rol-a-top bird of paradise 1934 need help

Postby 1th » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:00 am

I got from Italy the paint job is really bad but that just tells you the history of the merchian I don't really no what to do now as I wanted to restore it back to looking like new but I don't think that's right do you think this is one of the mobs merchian and what do you think the value is in its current condition many thanks terry
1th

Postby gsx11r » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:16 am

Hello
Okay , please , stop !!
Yes , this is a French model from Watling !It s a model made in 1937 !
This Rol was on Ebay last month! On Ebay Italy .
About the tag on the left ; It s in Italian and English ,nothing in French language :
…..SLOT MAD….
ANNO 1922/25 “ years 1922/1925” ( no serial number ,no prefix)
DELLA One Penny CO(in!?) “in one Penny coin”
DI “from”
J.Costello & Al Capone (I think that everyone know them! )

I think that this Rol was in a clothing Shop in Italy and I think that the seller did not want to answer questions and stuck the paper to be quiet !!!
I can tell you that you can remove this tag , no Problems !!! No interest for a French collector ( sorry Freddy ! :occasion5: )

About your Rol .
Hummm ,You have a LOT of work on it !
Some missing parts(Skill stop , vendor link, gold award ,Jackpot ,etc), broken parts and modifications(Some modification on the clock ( the French Touch :-" )) !!
I don t know how much you have pay for this , I do not want to scare you but (for me ), no more than 800$Max. That was a Slot for parts or display, not for to be restored . :dontknow:

Courage !!!!
Stephane
gsx11r

Postby Anglobritish » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:29 am

Stephane,
I stand corrected on the language, you obviously know more about this than I do, although the Marseilles story is a true one, did you ever meet Bernard DeWitt, he was the French version of Woody Allen in the U.S. he was banned from most of the good restaurants in Paris, his wife had to make reservations because non of the great restaurants would accept a reservation from him, also his father was a Furria, in the fur coat business, he was also a highly decorated fighter in the French resistance in World war II.

Once again my appologies for the language interpritation.

Freddy
Anglobritish

Postby 1th » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:43 am

On the mech there is a date 1 may 1934 could you tell me why it's a 1937 iv paid well over the top for this merchian and I fill a bit sick now but that's my fault as I don't no much about slots merchian so I'm this far I mite as well restore it I no its going to take me for ever to find the parts but I do love the watling rol-a-top if anyone can help me I would really appreciate
1th

Postby gsx11r » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:37 am

Watling made Rol a Top during some years (around 15years) and make some update on the mechanism !Your mechanism, despite all the changes inside, is a model manufactured in the years 36/37. 1934 is just the date of the patent ( I think), you can found it on a Rol made in 1949 !
If you need help , first , tell where do you live !

Anglobritish wrote:Stephane,
..., although the Marseilles story is a true one, did you ever meet Bernard DeWitt, he was the French version of Woody Allen in the U.S. he was banned from most of the good restaurants in Paris, his wife had to make reservations because non of the great restaurants would accept a reservation from him,...
Once again my appologies for the language interpritation.
Freddy

About Marseille , Yes I know this story, you are right ! About Bernard , :badgrin: :-#
And please ,no appologies for the language , I have the same probleme in English !! Arghhhhh ! :oops:
Stephane
gsx11r

Postby 1th » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:45 am

Could some one help me find the serial numbers as I can't find them there is a date stamped on the mech 1934
1th

Postby 1th » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:51 am

Hello gsx I can't find any series numbers on it should it have numbers I'm in the uk I would really appreciate your help
1th

Postby 1th » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:51 am

Hello gsx I can't find any series numbers on it should it have numbers I'm in the uk I would really appreciate your help
1th

Postby watlingboy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:03 pm

The May 1 1934 date is a patent date that appears on the operating arm that kicks the mech. This is a patent date for the redesign of that part and not a manufacture date for the machine. Because of the removable horn, the date of manufacture is 1938 or later, most likely 1938 or 39. Most machines made in 1935 to 37 have the fixed horn. This machine is fairly typical as far as completeness for these French machines. Yours is missing a little more than most. I can be specific as to what's gone but you might not want to know and should probably enjoy it as it is. It would be difficult and expensive to find the missing parts, sorry for that information.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby watlingboy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:05 pm

Also the paper tag on the outside is a fantasy piece that someone stuck on the machine.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

PreviousNext

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions