Returning from the graveyard

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Returning from the graveyard

Postby Richard13 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:43 pm

Several months ago I bought a Jennings Peacock and fed ex managed to destroy it and sour me on slots for a while and I focused my energy and funds into a 1965 GTO project and collection. Well I finally found some room in the shop and pulled out the Peacock and tore into it. Every piece of wood had to be taken apart cleaned and re glued.
[attachment=4]IMG_5518.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=3]IMG_5519.JPG[/attachment]

Then the busted frame needed repair, nothing my little Harbor Freight oxy acetelyn torch and some grinding and brazing rods could not handle. Yes I see where I need to drill and put another spring pin in lol.
[attachment=2]IMG_5366.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=1]IMG_5530.JPG[/attachment]

This weekend maybe working on this puzzle and trying to weld aluminum for the first time.

[attachment=0]IMG_5517.JPG[/attachment]

More photos as it comes together.
Attachments
IMG_5517.JPG
IMG_5530.JPG
IMG_5366.JPG
IMG_5519.JPG
IMG_5518.JPG
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Re: Returning from the graveyard

Postby norabt » Sat May 06, 2017 3:06 am

Before you attempt welding aluminum for the first time on a rare slot machine, you might want to contact Johns Custom Fabrication [jcfabrication@hotmail.com]. He is the best. Maybe you would consider selling the slot as is? PM me if you would like to sell.
norabt

Postby JHSS-1944 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:13 pm

Richard; looks very well so far. I have seen many of the big projects you have tackled & come out on top.
you should do well here also.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby Richard13 » Sun May 07, 2017 2:47 pm

Learned how to TIG weld last night practicing on broken lawnmower parts and pots and pans. After an shout or so of instruction got to work on my busted castings. Needs some more grinding and filing and buffing but not too bad for an old guy learning a new trick.
IMG_5517.JPG

IMG_5544.JPG
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby mechanic » Sun May 07, 2017 7:29 pm

For future reference, when you clamp wood always put a piece of wood between the piece your repairing and the two sides of the clamp. This prevents marring of the surface of the work piece. It looks bad having round circles on the base and sides of the cabinet. Use 1/2" thick blocks about 4" square or whatever you are more comfortable with.
mechanic

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions