Watling Rol-a-Top cycling issue

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Watling Rol-a-Top cycling issue

Postby kxh121 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:55 pm

Happy Thanksgiving all!!
While the Turkey is on it's 8 hour cycle in the wood smoker, I am trying to fix an issue with a 10 cent Watling Rol-a-Top. The problem started when the mechanism base was taken out and replaced and the Handle Starting Lever Bracket Assembly and crank handle were all taken out for maintenance/greasing. What is happening is when a dime is inserted and the mechanism is cycle, the lever will "slip" under the Main operating lever stud which in turn will not allow the crank lever to return to the normal position for follow on play of another dime.

I have used the same 4 wood screw holes and attempted to put the base in the exact same position as before and I cannot figure out why the actuating lever seems to go too far down allowing the mechanism stud to end up on top of the lever instead of under it as per normal operation. It is hard to explain exactly what is going on if you have never had this issue but if you have, you will know a fix for the problem and any help will be greatly appreciated. I will try to attach some pics and Happy T-Day!!!!

v/r
Ken
Watling issue-006.JPG
Photo shows mechanism out of the cabinet and cycling normal
Watling issue-001.JPG
This photo shows the actuating assembly as it should be placed inside of the cabinet
Watling issue-004.JPG
This one shows the assembly prior to activation with the lever stop portion on top of the mech stud as it should be
Watling issue-007.JPG
This photo shows mechanism stud on top of the actuating portion of the lever assembly which causes a jam
Watling issue-002.JPG
This shows a gap I have noticed between the coin entry and top of casting. I have added a set of thin washers under the base plate and then the mech sits too high and causes a worse jam.
Watling issue-003.JPG
Photo shows hold down latch loosely engaging main plate which is not correct either
Last edited by kxh121 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kxh121

Re: Watling Rol-a-Top cycling issue

Postby kxh121 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:23 pm

Apologies folks...some pictures are sideways and some are right side up. I really don't like cell phone pictures.

v/r
Ken
Watling issue-008.JPG
They do look nice once they are assembled....correctly!
kxh121

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions