Jennings Escalator Removal

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Jennings Escalator Removal

Postby Nick » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:20 am

HELP!

I am trying to remove an escalator from a Jennings Sun Chief mech. I have followed the steps in the "Owners Pictorial Guide: Jennings Bell Slot Machine by Geddes and Mead. I am up to the last step where it says "By gently prying the frame away from the two guide pins, the escalator can now be removed as shown in Figures 5.16 and 5.17 (page 23).

My problem is that I cannot budge the escalator from the frame. There is absolutey no space to insert a screw driver or other tool. I have tried tapping a screw driver into the seam that separates the escalator from the frame, but it won't budge.

Not sure what to do next.

Nick
Nick

Re: Jennings Escalator Removal

Postby oldslotman » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:33 pm

Loosen the two screws that hold the side frames to the base plate. It will give you a little more freedom. Just loosen no need to remove them. You also have to loosen the bar that holds the side frames. It is just above the reel bundle in the back.
oldslotman

Postby Nick » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:35 pm

Thanks. I see what you are referring to. I will give that a try.

Man I dislike those Jennings escalators!

Nick
Nick

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:15 pm

I have tried the suggestions of loosening the side frames. I am still unable to separate the escalator from the left frame. I am sure it is not, but it is almost like it is welded together. Absolutely no loosening or movement at all. There is not even a tiny crack to allow insertion of a tool.

Any further suggestions would be most welcome.

Nick
Nick

Postby oldslotman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:19 pm

Are you referring to the side opposite the coin tube? Is the reel bundle still on the mech? If it is you have to remove the cotter pin on the reel bundle rod.
oldslotman

Postby oldslotman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:25 pm

Soak the area with PB Blaster and let it sit for awhile then work a screwdriver in on the top side. The pins are mounted into the side frame I believe not the escalator. The pins will stay with the side frame.
oldslotman

Postby Nick » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:27 am

Thanks oldslotman

I will give that a try. I am referring to the side opposite the coin tube. Yes, the reel bundle is still on the mech. I did not know I had to remove that to remove the escalator.The Jennings book did not say anything about that. Can you please tell me what PB Blaster is? Just need to know what to ask for when I try to find it.

By the way, am I correct in assuming that when somone refers to the right or left side of the frame, they are viewing FROM the front of the mech? (the right side is the side with the coin tube?)

Thanks
Nick

Postby oldslotman » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:34 am

PB Blaster is like a penetrating oil to free stuff up.
oldslotman

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions