New to slots, repainting Little Duke?

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

New to slots, repainting Little Duke?

Postby Atari1977 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:47 am

Hello,

I was recently given a Little Duke penny slot machine by my grandfather. He's had it for decades and it's been sitting in a corner of their house as decoration. I don't think it's been used in about twenty years though and trying it now I think there's a coin jammed in the acceptor as they won't drop down into the machine itself. But anyway, I've worked on old stuff, primarily old radios and electronics though, before and would like to get this going again/restore it cosmetically.

So I've seen there's a repair manual that was recently put out for these, which I'll be picking up, then getting the lubrication in order since all the old grease has hardened. My main question would be how best to go about restoring the cosmetics of the machine since the original paint has flaked off in several spots.
Atari1977

Re: New to slots, repainting Little Duke?

Postby capt7310 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:46 am

Hi Atari I purchase the same machine about 2 months ago I used acrylic paint and redid it all ... here's a before and after pic the paint work fine for me
Attachments
20190217_083019.jpg
Resized_20190220_165143.jpeg
capt7310

Postby Atari1977 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:02 am

capt7310 wrote:Hi Atari I purchase the same machine about 2 months ago I used acrylic paint and redid it all ... here's a before and after pic the paint work fine for me

Looks great! Doesn't seem to hard to paint when you just have to stay inside the lines.

Anyway new issue that I've noticed with my machine. The original lock is long gone, no idea when that happened, but I also noticed that on the back of the coin mech on top of the cabinet there's a hole on the back where I guess a key is supposed to go originally. I've attached a picture of machine that does have what I'm talking about, on my machine the hole is just empty and I'm wondering if that's causing it not to accept any coins at the moment.

Then besides that it looks like the coin guide was kludged with a bit of tin sheet at some point and some of the larger springs are badly stretched out.
Atari1977

Postby capt7310 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:09 pm

Those keys are easy. If you need a key I have one here's a pic of it.
Attachments
IMG_4692.JPG
capt7310

Postby Atari1977 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:31 am

capt7310 wrote:Those keys are easy. If you need a key I have one here's a pic of it.

The pic's from another machine, both locks on mine are gone. Anyway, got the coin mech open and turns out there were a couple of pennies jammed in the channel that actually leads to the drop down hole. Then I shured up the kludged coin guide on the machine so they actually will drop into the channel instead of the machine's workings. Still have to work out the overflow channel(guess that's what it is, it's where pennies go to return to the player if the machine's full) It's mounting has been bent at some point and now coins just get stuck at the top instead of going through.

Also got the machine to actually spin, kinda. Only the smallest reel looks like it's moving at the proper speed. Second biggest is moving slower and the largest is barely moving at all(also looks like the lever that's supposed to put it in line with others at the left side from the front isn't coming down so it the largest wobbles around a bit when it stops). Still waiting on the manual though before starting to take everything apart.
Atari1977

Postby RameGoom » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:33 am

You should get that book offered by one of our members that details the machine including dis-assembly and maintenance. Those reels are very tricky to take apart and set up, but you have to do that to get the reels to spin properly.

I found a 2nd. set of Little Duke castings that I detailed and polished, and plan (someday) to put them on my original un-restored machine - to display the machine nicely. Then, it can always revert back to the un-restored condition since they simply bolt on.
duke_castings_wall-art.jpg
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby youngjedi » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:42 pm

Hello,

Charlie here from C&A slot restorations. Some info....

The lock on the top back plate can be replaced, Just have to keep an eye open for one on EBAY or slot shows.

As far as it not allowing the coin to flow...no relation.

With that said, Behind that plate on the inside of the front "coin in" casting, there are two doors that have to be "dialed" in perfectly for a penny. There is a screw on one of the doors that will allow you to adjust it to a position to prevent the coin from getting stuck. Basically, the doors prevent a Bent coin from getting into the mech.

Once the coin gets through the coin entry casting, then it should allow it to be played. The little duke is basically like all the other machines (mills, caille, jennings) out there, but it is set sideways to the player. It can be a little tricky to restore mechanically, But if you attempt it, take pictures of every part BEFORE you take it apart. Get the repair book if you can.

Lubrication....most larger arms, main timing bar...etc. use Vaseline. That what was used by mills. Small gears/levers like the clock, a couple drops 3 in 1 oil. Stay away from wd40...it is not a lubricant. It will evaporate and attract dirt.

Paint....you are the owner...it's up to you. I follow a general rule...if more than 65-70% of paint is missing? Restore. If you like the look...leave it.

Have fun! Charlie.

P.s. Be aware, this will only be the start of a big collection!
youngjedi

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions