Mills "Lion Head" Payout Problem

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Mills "Lion Head" Payout Problem

Postby glblanks » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:14 am

Hi
I posted this on the Slots forum but realized it should probably go on this area.

I'm new here and have a vintage 1931/2 Mills Lionhead five cent slot that was working fine, then just stopped paying out.
I've looked carefully to see if something was broken, or lose, but not seen a thing. It appears to be a jam in the coin slides just above the payout hole on the bottom right under the arm.
Could not figure out a way to unjam it and no videos on the internet on that area of the slot.
Any ideas for me?
I'm fairly good at mechanical things, just lost on where to go next on the slot.
Thanks
Larry just South of Atlanta, GA airport.
glblanks

Re: Mills "Lion Head" Payout Problem

Postby glblanks » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:08 pm

Still looking for pointers on what I should be checking?
Thanks
glblanks

Postby ADIDASLOTS » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:43 pm

I’m going to assume the pay tube is full or filled at least half way.

Try cycling the mech out of the case, see if the payslides are going back and forward. If they are carefully lift up mech and see if you can slide the pay slides using your finger from underneath. It’s possible you have a jam in the slides. Don’t use a screwdriver to try to unjam.
ADIDASLOTS

Postby glblanks » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:40 am

Thanks so much. I’ll try that today how far are the slides suppose to come out and in which order? I’m assuming the bottom one should be first thx
glblanks

Postby oldslotman » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:45 am

They will all move together. The bottom slide is the master slide and moves all the other slides.
oldslotman

Postby glblanks » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:50 am

Great, thanks... then yes, I'm sure a nickel is stuck somewhere in there because they don't all move together.
Any suggestions how I clear the jam?
Thanks
glblanks

Postby ADIDASLOTS » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:34 pm

You should be able to see into slides but freezing the clock and simulating a jackpot hit. Hopefully this allow you to look underneath and see where the coin jam is. Cycle the mech outside of the case.
ADIDASLOTS

Postby glblanks » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:26 pm

Okay, I emptied all the coins from the coin tube, then removed the coin slid "Stop" and was able to pull and inspect all the coin slides by pulling each one out. No coins were stuck.
Refilled the coin tube and simulated a payout. NOTHING dropped.
I've tried to inspect to see if any springs popped off or were broken, but all looks correct.
I'm at a loss... it was working great before and just all of a sudden, stopped paying out on any combination,.
glblanks

Postby mechanic » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:16 pm

Sounds like the age old problem of the 5th click not engaging. This may be caused by corrosion on the 5th click pivot point or the lift pin is not adjusted properly and does not give enough lift to make the 5th click slip behind the master slide. If a lift pin issue loosen the jam nut first then the square head screw just above the nut and then tap the back of the lift pin slightly like .035" forward retighten all and see if it fixes the issue. Repeat if necessary but keep in mind you may have to put it all back the way you started so mark the pin before adjusting it. Play the mech outside of the cabinet so you can watch the cycle action. Also check to make sure the safety slide is not locking out the rest of the slides.
mechanic

Postby glblanks » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:51 pm

mechanic wrote:Sounds like the age old problem of the 5th click not engaging. This may be caused by corrosion on the 5th click pivot point or the lift pin is not adjusted properly and does not give enough lift to make the 5th click slip behind the master slide. If a lift pin issue loosen the jam nut first then the square head screw just above the nut and then tap the back of the lift pin slightly like .035" forward retighten all and see if it fixes the issue. Repeat if necessary but keep in mind you may have to put it all back the way you started so mark the pin before adjusting it. Play the mech outside of the cabinet so you can watch the cycle action. Also check to make sure the safety slide is not locking out the rest of the slides.

Not sure what the "5th click" is or where it's located. also, don't know what the lift pin is or where it's located. also, where is the "Safety Slide" ??
Sorry, but I'm fairly new to slots and don't have all the names of mechanism yet.
glblanks

Next

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions