Jennings Bronze Chief operates without coin (Quarter)

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Jennings Bronze Chief operates without coin (Quarter)

Postby WS65711 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:14 pm

I haven't logged in here in quite some time. My Bronze Chief (purchased in 2011) has not seen a lot of quarters lately. It's been sitting up for a while, but inside the house so climate controlled. I found today that it works fine, but without inserting a quarter! The escalator is functioning, and the little "finger" that is pushed back by the coin pops back forward after the coin is moved by the escalator. But with or without a quarter, the machine functions the same otherwise. I can't manage to see whatever is "apparently" sticking and allowing this to happen. Any help that anyone can provide is greatly appreciated!
Attachments
IsItOverHere.jpg
I suspect the problem might be over here somewhere?
QuarterSensingFinger.jpg
This "quarter sensing finger" appears to be working fine.
WS65711

Re: Jennings Bronze Chief operates without coin (Quarter)

Postby WS65711 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:06 pm

As so often happens.... shortly after I post in a forum... THEN I discover the solution!

In the first picture below the lever marked 'A' was apparently binding or moving very slowly when the Crank Arm was pulled. Lever 'A' is supposed to move lever 'B', which extends all the way back to the coin slot area and has a little pin that pokes into the hole marked 'C' in the second pic WHEN THERE IS NO COIN PRESENT. The binding in lever 'A' prevented lever 'B' from ever moving, and therefore the pin never tried to poke into hole 'C'. So the machine always thought a quarter was present. Hopefully this info helps someone else in the future!

FoundIt.jpg
Lever 'A' was binding and moving very slowly, and not causing lever 'B' to move as it should.

QuarterSensingFingerC.jpg
A pin attached to lever 'B' should poke into hole 'C' to confirm the coin is present.
WS65711

Postby WS65711 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:30 am

So I find myself dragging up my own old post about this subject. My machine has been sitting mostly unused for about the past 2 years. Getting it back into action I found the slides were sticking or binding, but a little bit of working the machine seems to have cleared that up.
But once again the machine is operating without having to first insert a quarter. I read through and tried what "I think" I did the last time to fix it, but it still seems to operate without coins no matter what I've tried. Can anyone suggest what I'm missing here? :?:
WS65711

Postby mechanic » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:11 pm

try backing off the large shoulder screw below the main operating arm and add a few drops of 3-1 oil on the shoulder and behind the part. it acts like it's dry and does not move as it should.
mechanic

Postby WS65711 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:36 pm

^^
Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping to get a chance to pull it out of the case again in the next week or two to look at the area you talked about. I'll follow up again at that time.. hopefully to say it's all working.
WS65711

Postby mechanic » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:01 pm

WS65711 wrote:I haven't logged in here in quite some time. My Bronze Chief (purchased in 2011) has not seen a lot of quarters lately. It's been sitting up for a while, but inside the house so climate controlled. I found today that it works fine, but without inserting a quarter! The escalator is functioning, and the little "finger" that is pushed back by the coin pops back forward after the coin is moved by the escalator. But with or without a quarter, the machine functions the same otherwise. I can't manage to see whatever is "apparently" sticking and allowing this to happen. Any help that anyone can provide is greatly appreciated!

LOOKS LIKE PART V2-10 IS NOT MOVING FORWARD ENOUGH TO CATCH THE PORK CHOP (V2-50). check the big screw on V2-10 it may need oiling. also check the spring attached to the top of V2-10 it may not be strong enough to pull.
mechanic

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions