Reel out of balance

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Reel out of balance

Postby Shane » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:52 pm

Just completing a restoration and assembling the reel bundle. Reel #1 has a bit of a left-to-right warble as it turns. Is there a trick to getting this back in balance or do you just tweak it by hand?

Thanks,

Shane
Shane

Re: Reel out of balance

Postby MONTI » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:40 am

Shane!
Just like a lot of "FINE TUNING" adjustments on working on vintage slot machines a little "cautious" metal adjusting by hand would work!
Don't know exactly what you are working on but later vintage reel tins can take a little gentle tweaking, the earlier ones with soldered rods from the pivot point or hub to the exterior reel tin are a little more susceptible to a solder point breaking loose however!
Bona Fortuna!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby Shane » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:58 pm

Thanks, Monti. A little gentle massage and the are back in balance. My the way my machine is a Bursting Cherry.

A couple of other fine tuning issue when I cycle the machine.

Reel #1 turns slowly and almost stops before the brake hits it. If I spins the reels freely #2 and #3 spin very smooth, however, #1 you can hear a slight resistance as it turns noticeably slower. The main rod is smooth and oiled and I ran a pipe cleaner with some oil in the hollow brass shaft to clean it out.

The 4th click is almost silent. It does function but the vertical payout lever release lets go slowly instead of with a pop. My Black Cherry machine has five distinct clicks where this machine is 3 solid clicks plus a very quiet 4th and then a solid 5th when the slides are released.

Any advice on these two issues?

thanks,

Shane
Shane

Postby MONTI » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:57 am

Shane!
Don't know how knowledgeable you are on slot machines but activate mechanism while holding clock fan and without allowing movement of clock take a small shop towel and place it by the fan on the clock holding it motionless!
This will allow free movement of the reels with both hands free, slowly move the first reel and watch the reel disc closest to the vertical payout fingers and make sure one is not rubbing on the first reel disc!
Also look and see where any other drag may be occurring on the first reel, reel brake rod, reel stop lever, Etc.
Could be in various locations, watch and listen closely as you move the first reel!
As you mentioned about the fourth click, could be in the area of the vertical pay finger release assembly!
Bona Fortuna!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions