Need Help With A Locked Up Mills Black Cherry

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Need Help With A Locked Up Mills Black Cherry

Postby WoodrailFanatic » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:23 pm

InkedDSC00251_LI.jpg
I am looking for some help with a nickle Mills Black Cherry that is locked up.

I have a theory on what the issue is but would like an expert to confirm my suspions.

I have the mech out of the case. The handle wil pull and release properly but does not engage the mech.

The main operating fork is stopped at mid-cycle and is impacting the fan blades.

The coin tube loading arm will only go about half way down. The cause of this is that a portion of it is hitting the chisel as you attempt to move it to the normal lowered position...see the attached photo....note that I have rotated the chisel 90 degrees in hopes of that allowing the loading arm to clear it...sadly this did not provide enough margin for the arm to get by the chisel.

My theory is that the previous owner raised the coin tube loading arm while the machine was cycling to create this condition.

My question is do you all agree that this is the issue and if so how do I resolve it.

Thanks very much for your help.
WoodrailFanatic

Re: Need Help With A Locked Up Mills Black Cherry

Postby radiorich123 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:29 pm

Yes that spring and the bar need to be corrected so it works correct.
Rich
REPAIRS ANTIQUE RADIOS AND COIN OPERATED MACHINES EMAIL
radiorich123@yahoo.com
WEB SIGHT www.technician.50megs.com
radiorich123

Postby mechanic » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:24 pm

Push down on the main operating lever aka pork chop and try to release the ratchet pawl at the top so that the mech can go back to zero. Then put all parts back into proper position. If the lift dog does not raise the main operating fork then the lift pin aka chisel will need to be adjusted back until the lift dog can pass by cleanly and then return back to zero position.
mechanic

Postby MONTI » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:37 am

Mechanic is correct!
And a picture of your slot mech from an angle similar to the one below would help diagnose your problem as well!
This picture shows the lift pin adjustment that may be out of timing and if necessary what to loosen to adjust it!
Bona Fortuna!
MONTI

4c Lift Pin Area.jpg
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby WoodrailFanatic » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:53 pm

mechanic wrote:Push down on the main operating lever aka pork chop and try to release the ratchet pawl at the top so that the mech can go back to zero. Then put all parts back into proper position. If the lift dog does not raise the main operating fork then the lift pin aka chisel will need to be adjusted back until the lift dog can pass by cleanly and then return back to zero position.

Thanks for your helpful info.

While trying your suggestion I did discover a way to get the far end of the coin tube loading arm back into its proper position below the chisel.

And that solved my problem. The machine is now functioning fine.

I very much appreciate your help.
WoodrailFanatic

Postby WoodrailFanatic » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:55 pm

MONTI wrote:Mechanic is correct!
And a picture of your slot mech from an angle similar to the one below would help diagnose your problem as well!
This picture shows the lift pin adjustment that may be out of timing and if necessary what to loosen to adjust it!
Bona Fortuna!
MONTI

4c Lift Pin Area.jpg

Monti,

Thanks for your reply, the photos and your suggestions. Once I got the far end of the coin tube loading arm properly positioned below the chisel the machine is functioning fine.
WoodrailFanatic

Postby WoodrailFanatic » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:56 pm

radiorich123 wrote:Yes that spring and the bar need to be corrected so it works correct.
Rich

Thanks for your reply. Indeed once I got that straightened out the machine is humming along.
WoodrailFanatic

Postby MONTI » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:19 pm

Your more than welcome!
That's part of the reason us old timers hang out here is to help the new collectors to keep the hobby going!
Just wrapped up a long phone conversation with a guy who just bought a Bally 809 that needed some work and I was able to walk him thru it on the phone so it's been a productive day! LOL
Glad your up and running! =D>
And Welcome to the Forum and the hobby of slot machine collecting!
Ciao!
MONTI
1 avatar.gif
1 avatar.gif (9.79 KiB) Viewed 6083 times
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions