Need Some Help With A Locked Up Columbia

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Need Some Help With A Locked Up Columbia

Postby WoodrailFanatic » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:39 am

DSC00053.JPG
I am reposting this to the proper section....had it in Slots before.

I need some help from a Columbia expert.

I will confess upfront that I have limited slot experince. I have worked on pinballs and other EM arcade games for over 40 years. And my slot experience has been focused on Mills and one Jennings. Now I am looking at a nickle Columbia machine that is locked up and I cannot figure out how to get it freed up.

Initially the second and third reel stops were stopped mid-cycle. I got those freed up and sometime after that I got the machine to complete its cycle...not sure what I did that allowed that to happen.

At that point I was able to pull the handle and the machine spun the reels and the clock ran. But this time it stopped with the third reel stopping part way.

Now from a visual inspection I knew from the git-go that I had an obvious issue with the machine. The ball that is supposed to go in the cavity at the bottom of the Cross Slide Arm (A-143) was flopping around loose (photo attached). For the life of me I cannot imagine how that happened. What I don't know is what the Cross Slide Arm does or if its obvious lack of proper function would cause a mid-cycle lock up. And if so is there a way to manually manipulate things so the machine will complete its cycle. So those are my first questions.

I removed the large nut and bolt that holds the Cross Slide Arm on and got it out of the machine but with the machine stuck mid-cycle I cannot get it positioned such that I can reinstall it when the ball is properly positioned in the cavity on the Cross Slide Arm. Is there any hope of getting back on there until I get the machine to complete its cycle?

A coupe of other questions on the Cross Slide Arm. Does it attach to anything else when I put it back in. I see mention of a Cross Slide Arm Spring in the parts manual and that would seem to imply that spring might attach to the arm but I don't see any place to do that. And when I put the Cross Slide Arm back into the machine do I need to postion or insert it into any other part of the mechanism? Before I removed it from the machine the top of it was just free to move left and right but did not appear to be attached to or riding in anything else. And what are those 6 "channels" that have been cut into one side of the arm (photo attached)?

On a Mills machine when I remove the mech fronm the case I have completely detached the escalator from the mechanism. that is obviously not the case with a Columbia. So my question is with the mech out of the case and cycling the machine by hand can all of that elaborate coin handling stuff on the top of the machine cause the machine to lock up mid-cyce or is it out of the picture at this point?

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated. I have studied this thing over until my eyes bled!
Attachments
DSC00253.JPG
WoodrailFanatic

Re: Need Some Help With A Locked Up Columbia

Postby marsonion » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:27 am

I'd really like to help you, but it would be very difficult-- not to mention extremely boring for everybody else-- to attempt repair of a Columbia with any but the most commonplace malfunctions via words and pictures posted on this forum (and I think you have some deep and serious mechanical issues there). Not only is there no substitute for observing and handling the machine in-person, but, as at least one poster pointed out, with a Columbia it's best to have an extra, properly functioning machine nearby for reference while you're troubleshooting and repairing it. I have four fully functional Columbias (fully functional now, I mean) at my location and I'm confident we could get yours working too (and for free, even), but you'd have to bring it to me so we could have a look at it. I don't know where you're at, but if getting to NW Oregon isn't out of the question for you, you're very welcome to PM me and arrange a visit to my shop. I hope you can, and will!

WoodrailFanatic wrote:I am reposting this to the proper section....had it in Slots before.

I will confess upfront that I have limited slot experince. I have worked on pinballs and other EM arcade games for over 40 years. And my slot experience has been focused on Mills and one Jennings. Now I am looking at a nickle Columbia machine that is locked up and I cannot figure out how to get it freed up.

Initially the second and third reel stops were stopped mid-cycle. I got those freed up and sometime after that I got the machine to complete its cycle...not sure what I did that allowed that to happen.

At that point I was able to pull the handle and the machine spun the reels and the clock ran. But this time it stopped with the third reel stopping part way.

Now from a visual inspection I knew from the git-go that I had an obvious issue with the machine. The ball that is supposed to go in the cavity at the bottom of the Cross Slide Arm (A-143) was flopping around loose (photo attached). For the life of me I cannot imagine how that happened. What I don't know is what the Cross Slide Arm does or if its obvious lack of proper function would cause a mid-cycle lock up. And if so is there a way to manually manipulate things so the machine will complete its cycle. So those are my first questions.

I removed the large nut and bolt that holds the Cross Slide Arm on and got it out of the machine but with the machine stuck mid-cycle I cannot get it positioned such that I can reinstall it when the ball is properly positioned in the cavity on the Cross Slide Arm. Is there any hope of getting back on there until I get the machine to complete its cycle?

A coupe of other questions on the Cross Slide Arm. Does it attach to anything else when I put it back in. I see mention of a Cross Slide Arm Spring in the parts manual and that would seem to imply that spring might attach to the arm but I don't see any place to do that. And when I put the Cross Slide Arm back into the machine do I need to postion or insert it into any other part of the mechanism? Before I removed it from the machine the top of it was just free to move left and right but did not appear to be attached to or riding in anything else. And what are those 6 "channels" that have been cut into one side of the arm (photo attached)?

On a Mills machine when I remove the mech fronm the case I have completely detached the escalator from the mechanism. that is obviously not the case with a Columbia. So my question is with the mech out of the case and cycling the machine by hand can all of that elaborate coin handling stuff on the top of the machine cause the machine to lock up mid-cyce or is it out of the picture at this point?

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated. I have studied this thing over until my eyes bled!
marsonion

Postby MONTI » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:01 am

I fully agree with Marsonion's post!
As the Groetchen Columbia, to say the least, is a very intricate design with many unusual operational characteristics that require a learned "Hands On" inspection to make proper adjustments!
And also being made of some pot metal parts are subject to easily cracking, Etc. without knowledgeably "manipulation" of the mechanism!
Attached here below is the original manual of the Columbia slot machine which I hesitate in posting as a "little knowledge" on this particular slot machine can be a bad thing but here it is!

Bona Fortuna!
MONTI

columbia-original-manual 1.pdf
(5.05 MiB) Downloaded 376 times
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby WoodrailFanatic » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:05 pm

marsonion wrote:I'd really like to help you, but it would be very difficult-- not to mention extremely boring for everybody else-- to attempt repair of a Columbia with any but the most commonplace malfunctions via words and pictures posted on this forum (and I think you have some deep and serious mechanical issues there). Not only is there no substitute for observing and handling the machine in-person, but, as at least one poster pointed out, with a Columbia it's best to have an extra, properly functioning machine nearby for reference while you're troubleshooting and repairing it. I have four fully functional Columbias (fully functional now, I mean) at my location and I'm confident we could get yours working too (and for free, even), but you'd have to bring it to me so we could have a look at it. I don't know where you're at, but if getting to NW Oregon isn't out of the question for you, you're very welcome to PM me and arrange a visit to my shop. I hope you can, and will!

Thank you very much for your reply and kind offer to help get my Columbia running. Sadly I am in Texas so getting the machine to Oregon is out of the question. I apologize that I had not provided location info in my profile and I will correct that.

Of course I am sorry to hear that you feel my slot is in desperate shape......not surprised but sorry.

And I certainly don't want to pollute this fine forum with detailed, one-off info that would not benefit anyone else.

I will PM you to see if we can find a way for you to provide me some help off-forum (if you are willing) to assess if it is time to toss it in the trash or not.

I appreciate your help.

WoodrailFanatic wrote:I am reposting this to the proper section....had it in Slots before.

WoodrailFanatic

Postby WoodrailFanatic » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:11 pm

MONTI wrote:I fully agree with Marsonion's post!
As the Groetchen Columbia, to say the least, is a very intricate design with many unusual operational characteristics that require a learned "Hands On" inspection to make proper adjustments!
And also being made of some pot metal parts are subject to easily cracking, Etc. without knowledgeably "manipulation" of the mechanism!
Attached here below is the original manual of the Columbia slot machine which I hesitate in posting as a "little knowledge" on this particular slot machine can be a bad thing but here it is!

Bona Fortuna!
MONTI

Monti,

Thanks for the reply and the PDF of the manual. I have downloaded and printed it and I am sure it will be a big help. I fully appreciate your warning about a little knowledge. While I can be relentless I am not reckless so I will be cautious in how I use the info you provided.

I always enjoy your posts here.
WoodrailFanatic

Postby MONTI » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:14 am

WoodrailFanatic wrote:
MONTI wrote:I fully agree with Marsonion's post!

Bona Fortuna!
MONTI

Monti,

Thanks for the reply and the PDF of the manual. I have downloaded and printed it and I am sure it will be a big help. I fully appreciate your warning about a little knowledge. While I can be relentless I am not reckless so I will be cautious in how I use the info you provided.

I always enjoy your posts here.

Thanks for the Kind Words but unfortunately I don't spend as much time here as I would like as my shop time is quite extensive!
Glad I could help!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby craigbell63 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:52 am

Did you ever fix this? I just bought bought one and it jammed the second day. I am trying not to force it and break something and I really don't want to disassemble it. I don't know what to do. I'm sticking with Mill's machines for now on.
craigbell63

Postby marsonion » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:23 pm

craigbell63 wrote:Did you ever fix this? I just bought bought one and it jammed the second day. I am trying not to force it and break something and I really don't want to disassemble it. I don't know what to do. I'm sticking with Mill's machines for now on.

Suggesting you try the excellent "search" function on this forum: you'll find plenty of pictures and advice for dealing with Columbia coin jams and other problems. Also, many of the published manuals and articles for maintaining and adjusting these machines are posted or linked on various threads; just use the obvious search words along with "columbia."
marsonion

Postby craigbell63 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:32 am

I've had my previously non-functioning Columbia for 4 days now and figured out how to fix everything but the coin jamming. Maybe I can help. Maybe not. When mine jams with the handle pulled partially down, it always turns out to be coins jammed up in the escalator. I remove the coins and twist the escalator 2 or 3 steps clockwise and the machine will usually finish the cycle, unjaming itself.

Now if only I can figure out how to keep coins from jamming up the escalator... I do hope to find the answer in these forums because it looks like a design flaw to me. If I can fix that, I'm going to have a real nice machine.
craigbell63

Postby crg » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:36 am

https://elibrary.arcade-museum.com/Coin ... anuary-083 Great article for guidance in Coin Slot magazine, January 1983, pages 54-55, by Marc Harrison
crg

Next

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions