Installing springs

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Installing springs

Postby Shane » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:26 pm

What is the trick to attaching springs such as the one pictures on the clock lever? I'm trying to pry the end of the spring open with a screwdriver and thread it through the hole but not having much luck.

Thanks,

Shane
Attachments
IMG_9649.JPG
Shane

Re: Installing springs

Postby oldslotman » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:45 pm

Wrong spring??
oldslotman

Postby Shane » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:24 pm

A general question - especially with the stronger springs. It is tricky to pull the tip of the spring apart to get it started in the spring hole. Of course, it is much easier when the spring simply loops over a hook. When there is a hole, getting the tip of the spring started so you can twist it around the hole is difficult. I eventually get it done but there must be a more methodical way to get it done in fewer attempts.
Shane

Postby MONTI » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:28 am

oldslotman has the right thought!
As modifying springs, while it may work is not the best thing to do but the correct springs are available from Dave Berten who's father Bernie started the spring business for vintage slot machine many, many years ago and Dave is still doing so today!

mrslot1@aol.com
is his email but give him a little time to respond as he is a one man operation and like a circus clown juggling with too many balls in the air! LOL
Bona Fortuna!
MONTI

Proper Springs.jpg
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby Shane » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:36 pm

Monti,

The spring tip in your photo is better fitted for this mount. The spring in my photo came from Berten.

Speaking of the Berten family, I have been going through the old Loose Change magazines and found an ad from Dave's father in a 1978 issue!

Shane
Shane

Postby oldslotman » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:11 pm

Shane wrote:Monti,

The spring tip in your photo is better fitted for this mount. The spring in my photo came from Berten.

Speaking of the Berten family, I have been going through the old Loose Change magazines and found an ad from Dave's father in a 1978 issue!

Shane

The spring you got from Berten will work on some other machines. Monti picture is the right spring for your machine.
oldslotman

Postby mechanic » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:38 pm

cotter pins> Pop the pin on the loop then push the pin through the hole and bend the end over as tight to the other side of the hole as you can get it so the pin will not eventually slip out.
mechanic

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions