Jennings Standard Chief payout finger

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Jennings Standard Chief payout finger

Postby ThirdGenAmusement » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:11 pm

Hello,

I am stumped as to why I have one payout finger which does not get pulled back enough during the wind up cycle and then rubs against the 1st real payout disk. I did disassemble the Mech though I dont recall any problems prior to disassembly. I did not take out the fingers. I only removed the payout slides and real bundle in this area to clean, degrease, etc. so the payout finger assembly is still in tact.

Anyone have any ideas? See pics. Pics are of the mech wound up and almost ready to start the spin cycle.
Attachments
IMG_20190723_153931.jpg
Area showing 2nd finger from the front not being pulled back
IMG_20190723_154259.jpg
Fingers up and payout disk
ThirdGenAmusement

Re: Jennings Standard Chief payout finger

Postby BALTMANHD103 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:42 pm

I have a similar problem but with a Mills nickel machine even if I manually line up the fingers and ates it doesn't engage without help it too has been cleaned and lubricated
BALTMANHD103

Postby mechanic » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:09 pm

Two possibilities, 1. The finger had someone weld an extension to it since the rest look OK. 2. The finger is bent forward so it hits the plate. The top of the fingers should all line up here the springs attach. 3 Maybe they cut down the other fingers????? That would be just plain dumb.
mechanic

Postby mechanic » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:41 pm

the Mills machine may be a few things causing the problem. Take the mech out of the case and cycle it but make sure the clock does not move. Then when the reels stop take the mech and tip it on its side slightly so the slides are tilted up. Then take you fingers or a screw driver depending on how brave you are and see if all the horizontal fingers move freely. If they do not move at all then they are bound up against the slides. The problem then is checking to see if the slide bumper pad is worn out or even missing. Also check the master slide and the 5th click as they could be worn and causing things to bind up. Lets hope it's the bumper pad, easiest to fix.
mechanic

Postby ThirdGenAmusement » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:09 pm

mechanic wrote:Two possibilities, 1. The finger had someone weld an extension to it since the rest look OK. 2. The finger is bent forward so it hits the plate. The top of the fingers should all line up here the springs attach. 3 Maybe they cut down the other fingers????? That would be just plain dumb.

@Mechanic I dont know why I didn't see that!!! The finger is bent where it would contact the (not sure of the correct part name but is pictured in the 1st pic) contacts the finger, the finger is "U" shaped therefore will not be pushed back like the other fingers. Odd that it is bent. I dont see any damage anywhere that would indicate where something would have hit it since it would take a decent amount of force. It also is still straight side to side. None the less, I think you provided me a good route to look further into. Thank you!
ThirdGenAmusement

Postby ThirdGenAmusement » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:52 am

Ok, Mechanic nailed it. It is a bent finger. See pic.
Attachments
finger.jpg
Bent finger
ThirdGenAmusement

Postby BALTMANHD103 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:19 pm

Thank you "mechanic " for your input have one question this machine has a lock on the front that is missing can you tell what I should look for as a replacement and its function.
BALTMANHD103

Postby mechanic » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:20 pm

Post a pic of the machine. You may find someone on the forum who has an extra lock when they see the pic.
mechanic

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions