Reels bounce off brakes (Bursting Cherry)

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Reels bounce off brakes (Bursting Cherry)

Postby Shane » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:59 pm

When the reel stop lever hits the #2 reel the reel bounces back one or two symbols almost every time. Reel #3 does this a bit and Reel #1 works fine. I tried adjusting the brake rods in back but it does not seem to be related too much to reel speed.

Any ideas and how to help the reels come to a clean stop?

Thanks,

Shane
Shane

Re: Reels bounce off brakes (Bursting Cherry)

Postby mechanic » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:20 pm

TAKE THE BRAKE WIRES OFF AND BEND THEM BACK TO STRAIGHT. THEY MAY BE OVERBENT RIGHT NOW.
mechanic

Postby MONTI » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:21 am

Also check the spring tension on the reel stop levers!
And depending on the style of reel stops could they be worn and not making proper contact with the reel stars!
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby Shane » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:35 am

mechanic,

The brake wires are reasonably straight and the are working as expected - I can move the wing nuts and speed up or down the reels significantly. Regardless of the wheel speed i still get the bounce on the 2nd reel. I did tighten the tension on the #2 wire and it helped some - now the reel bounces back one symbol instead of two or three. If I tighten it any more the reel almost stops before the brake activates.

I will keep tinkering - the old machines can be a bit grumpy...

Shane
Shane

Postby Shane » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:03 pm

Monti,

The spring tension on the three stop levers appears to be equal.

Your comment on worn reel stops I think is right on. See the photo of reel stop #2 - the front half of the square "block" is worn down. The other two reel stops do not have this wear.

Is there a way to turn the square head 180 degrees? it is rivoted on pretty good. I may need to get a replacement reel stop.

Shane
Attachments
IMG_9657.jpg
Shane

Postby MONTI » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:56 pm

Shane!
Kind of hard from the angle of the photo and lack of clarity to see what you have there as a reel stop assembly but I believe what you should have is what is pictured below and if you do there should be slight movement of the stop block as it should pivot slightly controlled by the extension spring shown which if not would be causing the wear as view-able in the photo!
Sometimes these blocks get gummed up from dried grease and do not move!
If the reel stop lever is removed you should be able to clean it and rotate it as you mentioned!
MONTI

MILLS REEL STOP LEVERS.jpg
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP

MONTI

Postby Shane » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:35 pm

i think my reel stops are an older version than the ones in your picture. My Black Cherry reel stops are more similar to your pic - the blocks have a little bit of give to them creating a smoother, quieter stop.

My bursting cherry blocks are fixed - unless all three are really frozen. The blocks do not seem to have any give. See picture.

Shane
Attachments
IMG_9665.JPG
Shane

Postby MONTI » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:28 pm

Well in that case it should be able to rotate 180 degrees like you mentioned but to keep it fixed in that position if it is not tight when you rotate it you may have remove the arm and either press the rivet holding the block using the flat part of a vise, the anvil portion and a ball peen hammer striking the rivet straight on to the rivet or using the vise jaws to squeeze it a little tightening it up but make sure the angle to the star on the reel hub stop is flat to the block like the one in your picture to prevent bounce!
Sometime if you have the proper kind of vise grips with two rotating heads so they will press flatly and evenly you can do it in place!
The stop block that was worn was probably slightly off causing the wear!
The wear could have also been caused by the reel brake being so loose that the reel was spinning to fast when the stop block made contact!
Also, being a metal to metal contact point a little grease may help as well, on the stop block and on the star!
I think I got that all right, if not somebody jump in and correct me!
Bona Fortuna!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP

MONTI

Postby Shane » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:37 pm

Thank you, Monti. I will give that a try and let you know how it works...

Shane
Shane

Postby Shane » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:45 pm

i don't think that block was meant to move. I torqued on it pretty hard and it did not budge. I'm afraid I will damage it if I keep going. Going to look for a replacement lever.

Shane
Shane

Next

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions