Caille Superior

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Caille Superior

Postby dogo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:09 am

My first Caile. Everything works as it should, plays and pays smoothly. The only problem is refilling the jackpot. I see the lever on the lower left of the escalator that when pushed allows coins to go to the jackpot. I just can't figure out what actuates it. The pic shows an assembly on the front left that is missing some linkage but I don't know what is missing and I don't know if that is related to the problem. From others I see on the web some have that assembly and others don't. Any help is appreciated.
Don
IMG_20191123_112913303.jpg
dogo

Re: Caille Superior

Postby marsonion » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:20 pm

Your mechanism is actually an incomplete 4-reeler which probably came out of a Caille Grand Prize. I'm sorry that it appears to have had the fourth (or first?) reel and other parts removed by some sort of "restorer." You can find me ranting about this sort of thing on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1668

I can't tell from your picture how many parts have been removed, but if all you need is a replica of the lever which engages the bottom of the escalator to the "snail," that may not be too difficult to fangle together with some 1/16" steel sheet.

With regard to regular feeding of the jackpot during play, that should occur on each cherry-cherry-lemon or cherry-cherry-bell (four coin) payout. Look for a horizontal bar on the handle side of the mechanism that rides a pin on the second payout finger; that's your linkage to the coin-drop contraption at the bottom left of the escalator.

dogo wrote:My first Caile. Everything works as it should, plays and pays smoothly. The only problem is refilling the jackpot. I see the lever on the lower left of the escalator that when pushed allows coins to go to the jackpot. I just can't figure out what actuates it. The pic shows an assembly on the front left that is missing some linkage but I don't know what is missing and I don't know if that is related to the problem. From others I see on the web some have that assembly and others don't. Any help is appreciated.
Don
IMG_20191123_112913303.jpg
marsonion

Postby dogo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:35 am

Thanks marsonion.
I should be able to fashion the parts needed to engage the snail. The horizontal bar is also missing, but should also be doable. It is so difficult to determine completeness and originality of a machine for a relative newbie. There is a great deal of info on common machines but although not rare this Caille is not seen as often. I was hoping since the s/n of the mech matched the case it would be mostly correct. So I guess I'll just try to make it a fun machine to play. Thanks again for the info on this and many other topics.
Don
dogo

Postby marsonion » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:28 am

Here are a couple of images which may be helpful for eyeballing functional replicas of some parts you're missing. Given that the cabinet and mech serial numbers match, it is entirely possible that your machine is an operator modification-- the Grand Prize was not a popular gimmick with venue owners who had to pay the GP winnings out-of-pocket, and dumbing down a GP and converting it to look just like a typical Superior required merely removing the lower award card (plus covering a small portion of the upper marquee card) along with portions of the mech, and then replacing the reel window casting because a standard Superior reel window will conveniently cover the missing/disabled stim reel with a display card. I hope you'll post a detailed picture of the front of your cabinet; it may have a couple of filled-in screw holes where the lower award card frame might have originally been mounted, or the front casting may have been completely replaced with an original or recast from a typical Superior.

dogo wrote:Thanks marsonion.
I should be able to fashion the parts needed to engage the snail. The horizontal bar is also missing, but should also be doable. It is so difficult to determine completeness and originality of a machine for a relative newbie. There is a great deal of info on common machines but although not rare this Caille is not seen as often. I was hoping since the s/n of the mech matched the case it would be mostly correct. So I guess I'll just try to make it a fun machine to play. Thanks again for the info on this and many other topics.
Don
Attachments
side.JPG
front.JPG
marsonion

Postby dogo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:57 pm

Appreciate the additional pics, they will help. Mine seems to be a little different on the side. The second finger doesn't have a pin. It has an oblong washer. I found a pic of one similar thru a google search. It shows a horizontal bracket with a rod through it. The right end is bent up to the vertical finger. I assume through that washer. the left end is bent over to go behind the escalator to the coin drop so that when the finger moves the washer moves the rod to allow a coin drop. This machine is stamped on the reel glass window Wisconsin Novelty Co. State Distributors Fondulac Wis. The serial # is 35739. Also, I don't see any indication of holes in the front casting inside or out.
Attachments
IMG_20191124_143004890.jpg
IMG_20191124_143226822.jpg
dogo

Postby marsonion » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:39 pm

Yup, this is the sort of thing that always keeps it interesting! I also see hardware to the front and rear of your mech that I sure don't have on mine, so my original notion that your mech probably came out of a GP is already very eroded. I'll have a look on Google image search for the rod-and-oblong-washer gizmo, which is certainly new to me. I wish you well finding or replicating your missing parts, and many thanks for sharing these pictures of your machine!

dogo wrote:Appreciate the additional pics, they will help. Mine seems to be a little different on the side. The second finger doesn't have a pin. It has an oblong washer. I found a pic of one similar thru a google search. It shows a horizontal bracket with a rod through it. The right end is bent up to the vertical finger. I assume through that washer. the left end is bent over to go behind the escalator to the coin drop so that when the finger moves the washer moves the rod to allow a coin drop. This machine is stamped on the reel glass window Wisconsin Novelty Co. State Distributors Fondulac Wis. The serial # is 35739. Also, I don't see any indication of holes in the front casting inside or out.

Added note, picture: There it is, just like you said! At this point, I regret and apologize for jumping to the conclusion that your machine was ever a 4-reeler-- I'm just full of beans. The "snail" component, which appears on the back door paper of every Grand Prize I've ever seen-- but never on any Superior back door paper (that I've seen so far)-- may actually have been an added option for some production runs of Superiors such as the one you've got. If you turn up any more information on that matter, I hope you'll post it here.
Attachments
$(KGrHqRHJDoFCj+PHZfJBQtYghT!3g~~60_57.jpg
marsonion

Postby dogo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:18 am

Thank you marsonion.
I can't tell you how much help you've been. The picture you found is much more descriptive than what I found. Any chance you could direct me to it ? Maybe there will be a pic of the left side of the escalator to show the end of that rod. I haven't figured out what would keep coins from going to the jackpot once it is full. Maybe it interacts with the jackpot itself ? Again thanks for all your help. Also, it seems kind of odd that machines that appear to be so similar seem to be so different.
Don
dogo

Postby marsonion » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:35 pm

Attached are a couple more images of the same machine... looks like the other end of the wire sticks out pretty far in front of the third reel; also, the wire doesn't appear to be sprung in any way, and looks as though it is both pushed-and-pulled along entirely by the second payout finger. Interesting also that this machine has both the recessed front operating bar and the mounting holes in the frame to take the "snail." The plot thickens. :oops:

Not sure it's helpful in your situation, but the way the jackpot cuts off the feed in my GP is through a hinged ramp which gets tipped forward by the accumulating coins in the jackpot, thereby plugging the coin drop into the JP and diverting the coins to the cash box.

dogo wrote:Thank you marsonion.
I can't tell you how much help you've been. The picture you found is much more descriptive than what I found. Any chance you could direct me to it ? Maybe there will be a pic of the left side of the escalator to show the end of that rod. I haven't figured out what would keep coins from going to the jackpot once it is full. Maybe it interacts with the jackpot itself ? Again thanks for all your help. Also, it seems kind of odd that machines that appear to be so similar seem to be so different.
Don
Attachments
$T2eC16RHJGkE9no8hmrhBQtYgZpvT!~~60_57.jpg
$T2eC16NHJHoE9n3Kd2drBQtYgd(Ekg~~60_57.jpg
marsonion

Postby dogo » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:41 am

Thought I'd post pictures of the completed parts. Although far from perfect, they are functional. This machine has been a real project. The mech seemed to have every drop of grease and oil since it's manufacture plus a previous owner had sprayed it liberally with lithium grease. The castings had two different coats of ugly paint and the cabinet had been painted with what looked like green house paint. Thanks again to marsonion for all the help.
Don
Attachments
IMG_20191129_161504448.jpg
IMG_20191129_161755951.jpg
dogo

Postby mechanic » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:13 am

dogo wrote:Thought I'd post pictures of the completed parts. Although far from perfect, they are functional. This machine has been a real project. The mech seemed to have every drop of grease and oil since it's manufacture plus a previous owner had sprayed it liberally with lithium grease. The castings had two different coats of ugly paint and the cabinet had been painted with what looked like green house paint. Thanks again to marsonion for all the help.
Don

The wood cabinets were stained with a dark green stain and then clear laquered. I have never seen an original unstained superior cabinet only the refinished ones are bare wood.
mechanic

Next

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions