Groetchen payout

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Groetchen payout

Postby BALTMANHD103 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:43 pm

Need help with Groetchen Gold Award machine it operates nicely but doesn't revers to pay when you hit symbols to pay. Anyone out there have video or can supply one or a name of someone who works on them. I know most slot people don't like them but hey I have one and would like it to work if possible. Thanks Guys and Gals
BALTMANHD103

Re: Groetchen payout

Postby MONTI » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:45 am

Well I must start by saying that I am one who will dodge the bullet on the Groetchen Columbia's as getting them to payout correctly every time is a challenge, at least in my opinion but there are others here on the forum that praise them possibly they can be of assistance!
Here below are two pdf's of manuals for that little jewel that may help you understand them better!
I believe this is the one you are speaking of as no photo of the slot machine was posted!
Bona Fortuna!
MONTI

1 hail-columbia-bells-large-for parts breakdown.pdf
(4.06 MiB) Downloaded 234 times

columbia-instructions-manual.pdf
(2.17 MiB) Downloaded 216 times
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby BALTMANHD103 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:35 pm

Sorry it is a Gold Award. Thank you for the pages you sent already but if you have this one it would be helpful.
BALTMANHD103

Postby MONTI » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:28 am

Well, I may be wrong, my wife tells me I am all the time, but it is my belief the Groetchen Columbia was basically the same internal mechanism in all their models including the Gold Award model with the addition of the Gold Award dispensing assembly!
So most manuals, Etc. cover all models such as the Dick Beauschel book number 19 shown below which is available for download at Rodger "Jackpots" web page linked here below

http://www.coinslots.com/manuals/

Granted the coinhead was either a "straight drop" design as shown below or a "circular head" design also shown below but I believe the internal main portion of the mech was very similar in all the models with the exception of the Columbia Chrome Bell which was a larger version of a similar mechanism!

Below there is also a pdf of an article written in the Coin Slot Magazine of January of 1982 on them as well for you to read!

A photo of yours showing the area of your issue may be helpful for a Groetchen Columbia collector on the site to help you further!

Hope this may help!
Bona Fortuna!
MONTI

1 columbia-coin-slot-manual cover1.jpg

BOOK #19 on the Groetchen Columbia

COIN SLOT Magazine Article of 1982

3 straight drop coin head.jpg

Straight Drop Coin Head

4 circular coin head.jpg

Circular Coin Head
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby marsonion » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:20 am

BALTMANHD103 wrote:Sorry it is a Gold Award. Thank you for the pages you sent already but if you have this one it would be helpful.

As Monti indicates, the coin-carousel payout mechanisms between the "Gold Award" and twin-jackpot varieties of Columbia are identical, so I can probably help you with your "reverse-to-pay" malfunctions. That can have a number of causes, including the coin dropping from the vestibule too soon, poor timing of the carousel release pawl (the red tab sticking out from under the right/handle side of the carousel), sticky or inadequate lubrication of the payout finger rail, and (of course) other persnickety crap like that. PM me and maybe we can discuss the specifics. (I probably can't help you if your problem is the gold award dispensing mechanism in particular; the last and only time I had one of those in the shop, whatever hardware performs that function was missing, and the GA's were just there for show...)
marsonion

Postby craigbell63 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:50 am

Hi, I have one of these machines and it was doing the same thing. I noticed on mine that the pin wasn't going into the reels payout holes and I had to slightly bend the pin. After that, the payouts have worked properly ever since. Now, if only I can find a way to make the escalator stop jamming up with coins (mines a dime machine).
craigbell63

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions