Mills Roman Head Help

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Mills Roman Head Help

Postby hottoddy » Wed May 16, 2018 8:30 am

Hi,

I'm hoping that someone can tell me about the different styles of the Mills Roman Head slot. I think these are one of the best looking 3 reelers. I can't seem to find information about the full coin face version. Every picture I've seen is of the 2 jackpot windows cutting into the roman coin front. I believe there's a cover for the upper jackpot window to complete the coin, but not sure who made them. Attached are pictures of a true full faced coin version. What is it? Why aren't there more?
Attachments
mills roman head slot full coin.jpg
mills roman head slot2.jpg
mills roman head slot1.jpg
hottoddy

Re: Mills Roman Head Help

Postby mechanic » Wed May 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Here is what I know which is not much. Mills ran more than one model at times and this model just happened to run along with the Lions Head (wolfs). The Lions head was a single jackpot window machine to start in 1931. Some time in 1932 they modified the casting which now became the standard jackpot and reserve window fronts. In 1932 they brought out the Roman Head based on the single jackpot Lions Head casting. This casting had a shorter run than the Lions Head did. I am assuming that before the end of 1932 is when the Roman Head was changed into the standard and reserve jackpot to match the lions head change. Many of the new two window Roman Head castings also included another feature which was the side vendors. The last thing is most of the single window jackpots on both Roman Head and Lions Head should have serial numbers ranging from around 290,000 to 310,000. After that they should all be the later version front castings. WOW !!! That was long winded!!!!! LOL
mechanic

Re: Mills Roman Head Help

Postby hottoddy » Wed May 16, 2018 8:08 pm

That's great info. Thank you so much. I've attached another picture showing the serial number 314124
Attachments
mills roman head slot4.jpg
hottoddy

Return to Slots