Mills Hightop 10 Cent - Payout issue

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Mills Hightop 10 Cent - Payout issue

Postby CoinOpNick » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:31 pm

I am new to slot machine and this is my first post on this forum. I have a Mills Hightop 1948 slot machine. When I got it it was not able to cycle. After a bit of research I took the entire mech and escalator apart and cleaned them all with degreaser. I then resembled everything and replaced those springs needing replacing (thanks to Dave at MRSLOT1). Once I got everything together I was still having all sorts of issues. The reels were rubbing and not spinning much at all when in the machine. Also, the coins were jamming in the escalator. I eventually figured out the mechanism was just short of sitting flush on the sub-floor. I had to bend the tabs at the front of the sub-floor to get it that little extra bit, but once I did it solved the reels rubbing issue and the escalator locking up. After this the payout was even working including the jackpot, but now for some reason the payout has stopped working. When I checked the slides there was a dime stuck between the bottom slide and the one above it. I removed it, but now it appears that bottom slide is slightly out of adjustment with the other. I don't know that is an issue, but seems odd to me (see picture). Also, when I check the horizontal fingers I notice that the bottom one (which appears to be bronze) is not pushing that slide quite enough forward (see picture). Again, I don't know this is the issue as I did not check it when it was working. Since this is my first slot machine please excuse any ignorance if I am referring to any of the parts incorrectly.
Attachments
Image-2.jpg
Side view looking at the horizontal fingers. Its hard to see that bottom finger from the picture, but it is not quite pushing that bottom slide all the in alignment with the others.
Image-1.jpg
Top view looking down on the slides. You can see that bottom slide is not lined up with the others.
Last edited by CoinOpNick on Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoinOpNick

Re: Mills Hightop - Payout issue

Postby oldslotman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:24 pm

The bottom slide or the first slide is called the master slide. All the other slides are pushed forward and rest against that first or bottom master slide.
oldslotman

Postby CoinOpNick » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:28 am

Thanks for clarification of that part, but does everything need to rest against that flush? In other words it appears that master slide is not quite in line with the others. Could it be the back tab on that master slide is slightly bent back? I have not checked for that, but just thinking out loud.
CoinOpNick

Postby oldslotman » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:26 am

CoinOpNick wrote:Thanks for clarification of that part, but does everything need to rest against that flush? In other words it appears that master slide is not quite in line with the others. Could it be the back tab on that master slide is slightly bent back? I have not checked for that, but just thinking out loud.

Yes they should be flush. It could be that the brass finger that holds the master side is worn and allowing that slide to slide back farther than it should while the other fingers are holding the other slides in position. That most likely is your problem.
oldslotman

Postby oldslotman » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:41 am

17D9CF5A-CDE3-4BFD-AEA1-F414DDC7AD1E.jpeg
It should look similar to this one. Notice the end is cut at an angle and not square
oldslotman

Postby CoinOpNick » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:05 am

Thanks. I pretty sure from the pictures I took when I was tearing down the mech that part has a cut angle, but I will double check this.
CoinOpNick

Postby oldslotman » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:59 am

EC3EA680-E273-4A88-854D-BC55086D2FE5.jpeg
BED9FC2B-2F33-4940-8486-A8E552A178D4.jpeg
Here is a set of slides. This is how they should look
oldslotman

Postby CoinOpNick » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:13 pm

Thank you. I will confirm what state mine are in.
CoinOpNick

Postby CoinOpNick » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:40 pm

So I spent another couple hours on the machine and I think I might be more lost than before. The odd thing about this entire thing is the payout was working before or at least the few I manually set, but maybe I was just lucky. Anyway I checked the horizontal finger for the master slide and while it appears to have some wear on it to me it appears fine (see the picture). So I took out all the fingers and it appears to me the master slide finger is shorter than the others (see the picture), but again it appears angled like it should be. It is obviously shorter when installed (see picture). Anyone has any thoughts it would be appreciated.
Attachments
Slides.png
Slides.png (285.39 KiB) Viewed 5325 times
Master Slide.jpg
Vertical Fingers.jpg
CoinOpNick

Postby oldslotman » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:19 pm

C1FF7709-EE39-43EC-9CB5-342FDDD9F007.jpeg
All fingers should be the same length. This is from an earlier Mills machine like a war eagle. High tops maybe different.
Last edited by oldslotman on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oldslotman

Next

Return to Slots