Shipping slot machine

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Shipping slot machine

Postby Shane » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:08 pm

Anyone have some advice/tips for shipping a slot machine across the country? How to package/prepare, recommended shipping company, etc...

Thanks,

Shane
Shane

Re: Shipping slot machine

Postby YourBestBet » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:54 pm

I line the interior of the box with 2" foam sheets (the insulation kind at Home Depot or Lowes). I make sure the mechanism has both thumb screws tightened to the base plate. Next, I wrap the machine tightly with plastic wrap. I place the machine in the box and cover with peanuts. Make sure to leave enough room for the 2" sheet on top. I've sent a handful of machines this way via UPS ground and it has worked great. Make sure you use a large enough box so that you have room for the foam sheets and about a 6-8" gap all around the machine. Also, make sure your cardboard box has a shipping weight of at least 100 lbs.
YourBestBet

Postby Shane » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:25 pm

Thanks, YourBestBet. Helpful tips.

Where have you purchased the boxes? HomeDepot has a "wardrobe" box that is the right size with a max recommended weight of 95 pounds. Wondering if this would be heavy-duty enough or if you have a better suggestion?

Do you recall the ballpark UPS ground rate for such a shipment? This one will be Georgia to Oregon.

Thanks again for your help.

Shane
Shane

Postby saloonkpr » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:38 pm

Ship ..Fedex.... Due to Weight of Slot Machine..ALWAYS make Sure Box has CUT OUTS on Side of Box....A place for handlers to place their hands, So they DON'T have to lift box up so high to Handle to Move...
saloonkpr

Postby oldtimeslots.com » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:54 pm

Hi Shane, I use UHaul boxes which are inexpensive heavy duty double coorigated and are rated for 100lb. I put the slot machine itself in the one called “dish barrel” with a thick pillow in the bottom of the box. I wrap the machine first in a 2nd hand comforter or moving pad from the thrift shop then I shrink wrap the comforter wrapped machine all the while they are sitting on a 55 gallon drum bag so once it’s padded and shrink wrapped I just pull the bag up over it. Now the dish barrel goes inside the box called “shorty wardrobe” with a piece of 2” rigid insulation on the bottom. Set the dish barrel in the center of the shorty on the insulation and surround the dish barrel with more rigid insulation so the dish barrel is tight in the insulated shorty. Now lower your bagged padded machine into the dish barrel with the pillow in the bottom. Stuff 2nd hand blankets and pillows until the machine is completely covered with soft packing, tape up the dish barrel, put on another 2” rigid insulation on top of the dish barrel inside the shorty and seal up the shorty. I use UHaul green shrink wrap, and 2” reinforced tape along with their boxes. The blankets and pillows I get at the thrift store and the rigid insulation I get at Lowe’s or a Home Depot. When all packed the carton measure 21” x 25” x 35”. All the materials run me around $35 and shipping via UPS Ground runs average of $150 with insurance. I have shipped well over 500 antique slots in during my career with UPS and have never had to file a claim. It is not who they are shipped with, it is how they are packed.
When your client or receiver of the machine gets the package they will greatly appreciate how you packed it and the ease of pulling the bagged machine up and out and very happy they did not have to clean up and bunch of smashed styrofoam pieces and peanuts.
Personally I do not ship after December 1st though due to the Christmas rush and part time help.
Hope you understand and that this info is helpful.
Thanks,
Bill
oldtimeslots.com

Postby Shane » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:34 pm

Thanks, everyone for the tips. I really appreciate this forum and the willingness to share information with novices like myself. I am purchasing a machine to do my first restore and am sure there will be questions along the way.

Best,

Shane
Shane

Postby YourBestBet » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:52 pm

Shane wrote:Thanks, YourBestBet. Helpful tips.

Where have you purchased the boxes? HomeDepot has a "wardrobe" box that is the right size with a max recommended weight of 95 pounds. Wondering if this would be heavy-duty enough or if you have a better suggestion?

Do you recall the ballpark UPS ground rate for such a shipment? This one will be Georgia to Oregon.

Thanks again for your help.

Shane

95 lbs should work. I also forgot to mention that I reinforce the box with duct tape on the seams. UPS ground is the most reasonable rate, especially if you sell on eBay with a pre-printed label discount. Usually it's around $90. The materials are around $20-$30. The key is making sure you have plenty of cushion packing around the machine for no movement and most importantly on the top where the coin entry is. That is the most fragile part when shipping and typically where people that don't pack correctly experience damage. Best of luck!
YourBestBet

Postby marsonion » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:03 pm

One useful rule of thumb for preparing just about anything for shipment by the usual suspects: box, reinforce and cushion the contents so they will remain intact after being dropped (or thrown) four feet onto a concrete floor in any direction, because that's what will probably happen to them along the way. That's how high the roller-conveyors the "handlers" will be throwing your boxes from are, if they haven't already been knocked-off and onto the floor by other incoming packages. Also, writing "HANDLE WITH CARE," "FRAGILE" and "THIS SIDE UP" won't help much if at all; I'm afraid it only incites them. :roll:

http://dontthrowmypackage.com/
marsonion

Postby Dave » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:26 pm

My advice.

Do NOT under ANY circumstance use UPS. Use FedEx Ground.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby wallruss001 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:59 am

I agree totally with Dave, on shipping (and receiving) anything.
wallruss001

Next

Return to Slots