mills escalator adjustment

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

mills escalator adjustment

Postby Bulldog » Thu May 09, 2019 4:39 pm

Hope this question makes sense.
I am getting ready to restore/lube my 5 cent Mills Diamond Front and have a minor problem
with an escalator adjustment regarding the coin advance operation: (I will try and include a couple pictures to help).
With the shoulder screw that holds the coin bar release lever tightened, coins will not advance due to the coin holding bar being held tight to the coin chute back plate. Loosening the shoulder screw approx. 1 turn seems to fix the problem by allowing the coin holding bar enough freedom to move away from the back plate. Is this a normal setting for the shoulder screw or do I need a different (longer) shoulder screw? The "fat" part of his shoulder screw is 11/32nd inch long.

I think I may have the solution. The escalator needs to be taken apart, wire brushed, sand blasted, and oiled/greased where appropriate. There is too much dirt/grime on it as it is. The shoulder screw seems to be OK as is. I have Dave Burritt's videos and the Owners Pictorial Guide for Mills Bell Slot Machines. by Geddes/Mead which I used when I last worked on the restoration over 20 years ago. At that time, all the parts were cad plated prior to re-assembly. Just inactivity for the last 10-15 years. After I get the escalator working, I will do a complete teardown and rebuild of the mech. per Dave's videos. Really just needs to be cleaned, oiled, and greased.

shoulder screw-1.jpg

shoulder screw-2.jpg
Last edited by Bulldog on Fri May 10, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bulldog

Re: mills escalator adjustment

Postby mechanic » Thu May 09, 2019 7:15 pm

Two things to check. The shoulder should stick out past the back of the holding lever just slightly if not then that could cause the binding. The other is the threads on the screw are too long and are sticking through the other side of the mounting hole which can also cause binding. Since your having to back off the screw a full turn I'd look at the threads being to long first.
mechanic

Return to Slots