Sheffler Bros. Machine

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Sheffler Bros. Machine

Postby mbricker » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:53 am

Hi -

I am new to this forum. Thanks for having me.

I recently picked up this machine. My knowledge is somewhat limited, but I gather that this is a Jennings Sheffler Bros. revamp, right? The machine looks completely original to my untrained eye, at least from the time that the revamp was done. It's not currently working, and will need to be gone through.

So, a couple of questions:

Can anyone guess as to which Jennings model this was before the revamp was done?

Also, the side vendor is missing. Did Sheffler Bros. remove these during the revamp, or did it likely go missing later on?

Thanks - Mike
Attachments
Sheffler4.jpg
Sheffler8.jpg
Sheffler3.jpg
Sheffler2.jpg
Sheffler Bros Slot 2.jpg
Sheffler Bros Slot 1.jpg
mbricker

Re: Sheffler Bros. Machine

Postby mechanic » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:03 pm

This machine probably started out life as an Operators Bell Wood Front with no jackpot. When jackpots were developed revampers rushed out to buy up as many machines they could and put their new jackpot fronts on the old non jackpot machines. This made it desirable to the operators because now they could increase their profits with this new option called the JACKPOT. The side vendor could have been removed when the revamp happened or some operator later on took it off because he was too lazy to keep filling it up.
mechanic

Postby nvmos2 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:34 pm

Very nice Sheffler revamp. They were big operators in CA and revamped a lot of machines, but don’t be misled into thinking that Sheffler made the JP front; it is the Silver King Triple JP front, c 1932-1934. Sheffler used revamp kits from many sources.

Sheffler did good work; if they removed the side vender, I would think they would have done a better job filling in the holes or would have installed a metal plate over them.

Your machine may very well have started out as a Jennings Operator Bell Wood Front, but note that it has the patent date in the gooseneck and the large coin viewing window, so it’s not one of the early models, or it could also have been one of their other curved glass models, or even their Front Vender Bell (which ironically also came with a side vender).
nvmos2

Postby mbricker » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:03 pm

Here is a label that I found inside.
Attachments
Sheffler bros. 88.jpg
mbricker

Postby nvmos2 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:38 am

You’ve answered your own question.

Jennings made their Automatic Counter Venders 1922-1927 with several variations that also have other names. Most of their curved glass models had the split front; an upper and smaller lower section around the payout cup. Some had a single piece front; since Sheffler used a single piece revamp front, I’d say your machine started out that way, although maybe not since the revamp front extends out from the wood sides. You may be able to tell from the inside if it was a single piece front and, if so, that narrows down its origin considerably. From the serial number, I’d estimate it’s 1926-27.
nvmos2

Return to Slots