WTD- Coin Op Binoculars

Looking for a particular machine? Ask for it here!

WTD- Coin Op Binoculars

Postby buzzojoe » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:07 pm

I just bought a nice piece of property on a river, and I'd LOVE to get one of those coin op binoculars viewers like they have a tourist sites like the grand canyon and Niagra Falls. I've seen VERY few of them for sale over the years. There was a guy walking around with one at the November Chicagoland Show, but he wasn't selling it. He was looking for someone to restore it for him. Anyway, if anyone knows of one for sale, please let me know! Thanks!
buzzojoe

Re: WTD- Coin Op Binoculars

Postby MikeB » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:08 am

They still make new ones: http://www.seecoast.com/ OR http://www.heritagedestination.com/coin ... copes.aspx

Google can probably find more.
MikeB

Postby HSaidman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:57 am

The Coin Op binoculars that you see at Niagra Falls and many places
like that, are owned by the company that has them on location. These
are the ones that have the solid head kind of shaped like an Owl with
2 eye pieces. I saw an article once on them, and the family maintans
them and pays a percentage back to the location. They are never sold.
HSaidman

Postby buzzojoe » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:41 am

Well, From what I gather, Tower Optical Company (the place that makes the viewers at Niagra Falls and such), WILL sell them if someone wants to buy one. It's kind of a gray area as to if the company or the site owns the ones that are in place right now. The company obviously does other things because they say that they only make about 30 of the viewers a year, but it does maintain the ones on-site, and supposedly they last for decades and rarely get replaced.
Like a lot of things (like Ronald McDonald statues for instance), I have a feeling that if I DID find one for sale it would be one that was stolen by someone!
I thought that it would be very cool to have one of the "Tower Viewers" mounted to my deck so that people could use them to look at the scenery on and along the river, but it looks like I won't be able to get one. Or the price would be so high for one that I could buy 100 pairs of regular binoculars and just put out a new set when they get trashed or stolen :^)

But I'm going to keep looking anyway!!!
buzzojoe

Postby Franko711 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:27 pm

buzzojoe wrote:I just bought a nice piece of property on a river, and I'd LOVE to get one of those coin op binoculars viewers like they have a tourist sites like the grand canyon and Niagra Falls. I've seen VERY few of them for sale over the years. There was a guy walking around with one at the November Chicagoland Show, but he wasn't selling it. He was looking for someone to restore it for him. Anyway, if anyone knows of one for sale, please let me know! Thanks!

BUZZJOE

Are you still in the market for a see coast binoculars?
I have a brand new unit unused.
Franko711

Postby Franko711 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:30 pm

buzzojoe wrote:I just bought a nice piece of property on a river, and I'd LOVE to get one of those coin op binoculars viewers like they have a tourist sites like the grand canyon and Niagra Falls. I've seen VERY few of them for sale over the years. There was a guy walking around with one at the November Chicagoland Show, but he wasn't selling it. He was looking for someone to restore it for him. Anyway, if anyone knows of one for sale, please let me know! Thanks!

BUZZJOE

Are you still in the market for a see coast binoculars?
I have a brand new unit unused.
Franko711

Postby Franko711 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:49 pm

I think I have the binocular you are looking for.
Send me a pm with your phone number and we can chat.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Franko711

Postby MikeB » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:18 pm

The op posted over 3 years ago, and if you click on his name, it says he doesn't exist anymore (on this forum at least). So, you probably won't get any reply from him...
MikeB

Postby scottie » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:05 am

How much are you asking for them
Thanks
Scottie
scottie

Postby Richard13 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:26 pm

Here is one of those binoculars on eBay right now. With mounting post, two bit machine should be what you want?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SeeCoast-Mark-I ... SwvgdW53Mp
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Next

Return to Machines Wanted