Wish list for new COCA web site

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Wish list for new COCA web site

Postby Dave » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:26 pm

In case you don't know it. COCA has announced they are revamping their web site.

Feel free to reply to this thread if you have any things that you would like addressed.

I hope COCA will notify the person (or persons) redesigning the site about this thread so they can build a site which matches the members desires. When I was designing this site I solicited as much feedback as I could and I am always willing to listen to peoples requests.

Of course, since not all COCA members know about this site not everyone will have the ability to voice their opinion directly to the designers but at least some feedback is better than none.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:29 am

OK, I will get the ball rolling. Here is what I would like to see in the new site.

1. Automated way to allow COCA members to email all other COCA members. Members would have the ability to opt out if they don't want to participate.

2. Mechanism for members to automatically post photos of machines or anything else. Site should be smart enough to automatically adjust photo sizes to something reasonable (since people tend to send HUGE files). If this is not automated then someone in COCA needs to take the responsibility of doing this manually.

3. Site logically divided into the different areas of coin op (e.g., slots, trade stimulators, music, arcade, etc.)

4. A breaking news area when members are automatically notified of breaking news

5. A "question to the board" area where members can post questions and receive answers in a timely manner.

6. An area dedicated to new collectors. Perhaps an FAQ

7. An official statement regarding COCAs view on reproduction machines

8. An article repository which contains all previous COCA articles and perhaps other articles COCA can get ahold of. If this repostory becomes large then searching capability would be nice.

9. An encyclopedia of machines with lots of pictures and history.

10. A photo album showing previous conventions.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Marc Hess » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:07 pm

I absolutely second your list Dave and especially would like to see 8,9 and 10. A photo and history database would be a hugely helpful resource to newcomers and veterans alike.
I am not in a position to attend Chicagoland or the anual COCA conventions. My vacation time is limited and I have young kids and we always vacation as a family (quite frankly I am often surprised at how much traveling many of my friends/fellow collectors do). Therefore I can't really participate in COCA actively. I think there are probably many others in the same predicament. Perhaps the comments received on this thread can be forwarded to the COCA leadership and hopefully they will be fully considered when the new site is developed.

Once again I'd like to say you are doing a great job and thanks for this forum!

P.S. please excuse my spelling. I am helpless without spell check.
Marc Hess

Postby Dave » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:54 pm

Marc Hess wrote:I absolutely second your list Dave and especially would like to see 8,9 and 10. A photo and history database would be a hugely helpful resource to newcomers and veterans alike.
I am not in a position to attend Chicagoland or the anual COCA conventions. My vacation time is limited and I have young kids and we always vacation as a family (quite frankly I am often surprised at how much traveling many of my friends/fellow collectors do). Therefore I can't really participate in COCA actively. I think there are probably many others in the same predicament. Perhaps the comments received on this thread can be forwarded to the COCA leadership and hopefully they will be fully considered when the new site is developed.

Once again I'd like to say you are doing a great job and thanks for this forum!

P.S. please excuse my spelling. I am helpless without spell check.

Marc:

Regarding the photo and history database, have you ever checked out http://www.ibuyoldslots.com/COCD/ ?

Later today I plan on letting the president of COCA know about this thread in case he wants to comment or pass it on to the person[s] actually designing the web site. I know he has been to this forum in the past but I don't know if he still comes here or not.

Regrading spelling, are you requesting a spell checker be installed :D?

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Marc Hess » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:10 pm

Dave

I think I may have stumbled across your archive once or twice in the past. Thanks for reminding me about it.
As to the spell check - well it helps to keep me from looking like a dummy ;-) .
Marc Hess

Return to Just Chatting