watling treasury serial numbers

This is the place to post any type of article related to coin operated machines.

watling treasury serial numbers

Postby hitxhy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:11 am

Hi..I have just aquired a Watling Treasury from a reputable source...Nice machine..but can't find any serial numbers on the casing....Can anybody put my mind at rest with an explanation please....I have found the number on the cabinet ( just inside the cash box area ).....Awaiting your imput...Thanks..Tony
hitxhy

Re: watling treasury serial numbers

Postby flipper77 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:55 pm

That is concerning. I have three Treasuries. The first two (75xxx and 82xxx) have the serial numbers clearly on the top casting. The third and latest one (88xxx) has the serial number in the wood case again up by the handle. Should be some indication that there was an original serial number on your machine. I do have a couple of Mills where the serial number was ground off but this was when other manufacturers added a Jackpot front (eg a FOK converted to Lincoln Novelty). So possible that the operator of your Treasury originally modified but unlikely. Good luck!

Flip
flipper77

Postby flipper77 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:06 pm

Here is the last Treasury I mentioned. The serial in the wood does match the serial on the wood inside by the cash box and on the original paper tag on the inside. So maybe yours is a later model and the serial has been sanded or painted/finished over.
Attachments
Watling_serial_#_002[1].JPG
flipper77

Postby hitxhy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:01 am

Hi Flip..firstly thanks for the input....my machine has serial number 88XXX near the cashbox ...are you saying the later models didn't have a number on the top casting?..if so mine may be ok.....I have found some other stamps on the inside of the castings...top casing has BB11 ...window casing has BB10..lower casing has TW120E stamped on...Hope this throws more light on the subject....Also I watched Daves utube video on the Treasury...Coin slot rejects 2nd Nickel..so assume mech is genuine...Thanks again ...Tony
hitxhy

Postby flipper77 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:51 am

Well, I can only reference a population of one unless others with more Treasury experience can comment. My Treasury 88xxx is definitely original and it does not have the serial number on the top casting. I have also seen late Rol-A-Tops - checkerboard models - with serials on the wood case rather than on the metal casting. So must have been Watling standard procedure toward end of their runs. One other comment - concern always is possible reproduction on casting if no serial. But if yours is in the 88xxx range, must mean it is foreign coin model. Any repro would be american coin copy. So certain that yours is all original and all fine. Polish those coins up and it will look fantastic! My second Treasury was the 82xxx model and it had sat in a wet garage for many years. I have never seen a more corroded casting and rusty mech. Almost walked away without even making an offer to the elderly gentleman. But could not help myself - how often will you find a Treasury on a normal "hey - I have an old antique slot in the garage if you are interested" call. Admittedly a lot of hand polishing and machine polishing but I now like this machine better than my professionally restored and painted early Treasury. You have a classic!

Flip
flipper77

Postby hitxhy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:33 pm

Hi Flipper...thanks very much for all your help...I certainly feel much better about my machine now....Just hoping there may be others who can throw some light on the stampings I found on the inside of the castings...also can anybody tell the year of manufacture from the serial number 88102.....anyway...Thanks again...Tony
hitxhy

Postby nvmos2 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:04 pm

I have 1938 for both Watling numbers 87337 and 88878,
so your serial is is right between those two.
nvmos2

Postby watlingboy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:20 pm

Tony,

The BB and TW numbers you refer to are part numbers that are cast into the casting, no serial numbers were ever stamped on the inside or back of castings. The stamped serial number only appeared on the top right of the top casting next to the patent number, sometimes right front of the edge of the cabinet( later Treasurys), on the end of the wood block under the sub base and the paper sticker on the side of the cabinet.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby hitxhy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:16 am

Thankyou all for your answers to all my questions...One final query that would put my mind at rest.....Would reproduced castings have carried the part number stamps that I described.....Thanks again..Tony
hitxhy

Postby watlingboy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:54 pm

Tony,

Just like the detail that is reproduced on the front of the casting, the back would have the same detail and the part numbers would be there. You could ask one of the collectors who has a foreign coin top to measure the width and the reproduction will be approximately 3/16 smaller but many of the people who recast the castings built them up with material such as foundry wax to allow for shrinkage but then you had to mill out the casting to make it fit the case. You could remove the top casting and look, 4 carraige bolts. On the Rol-A-Top, Watling quit putting serial numbers on the top casting sometime in 1938. I've never looked at Treasury's to see if they all have serial numbers but it is odd that machines with serial numbers above and below yours, both have serial numbers. Are you sure the number has not been ground out?

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Next

Return to Articles