Does this look legit?

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Does this look legit?

Postby Richard13 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:37 pm

There is a machine on flea bay listed back east. Local pick up only but I have a friend that lives real close that would go pick it up and ship to me. I like the old machines and have never seen one for sale from the 1920's in 25 cent denomination.

I have other early vendor FOK's but the observation window in them is tiny like 1-1/2 inches square and the window in this one is larger leading me to believe maybe it's been converted to 25 cents from a lower denomination. I'm no expert and come here for expert advice. The SN is in a photo in the link.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Mills-177 ... ING_ACTIVE

image.jpeg
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Re: Does this look legit?

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:41 am

Richard:
This Mills 25c "Operator Bell Owl" on eBay, is a totally original, and legit machine. It's not converted from a nickel. They produced many quarter models.
The price on the eBay machine is pretty fair, for it's condition. It also has an original wood-grain metal back door. Only problem I see with that, is someone
has drilled a hole in the top, and inserted a screw, to keep it closed, because the lock is missing. They show a video of it working, which is a good thing.
Bill

I have this same machine in quarter, with a side mint vender, skill stops, and top sign, in the 156000 range, as shown below.
Mills 25c 'Operators Bell Owl'.JPG
Mills "Operator Bell Owl"
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Richard13 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:57 am

Wow Bill that is a gorgeous machine you have there! Thanks for the response also. I saw that screw and it's not a problem and easy fix. A copper penny and a few zaps with the mig welder and it's filled in then touch up with paint. I like the cash box lock panel is there and the cash box looks original also.

I will keep an eye on it don't need it but like it a lot and the original award card is in fantastic shape.

Made them an offer and it was rejected maybe bump it up a little and see what they say.
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:17 am

Richard:
Hope you can meet on a price with the seller, as the figure is not out-of-line, for as nice of an original machine that it is, and best of all,
it is all there, except the lock. The only other issue I see, is the faded-out #1 reel strip, which is most likely a metal strip, and I may have
a used one in better shape than that.
Next........If you do get it, don't be zapping a copper penny in that little screw hole, (especially a 1909 SVDB). Some things I tend to leave
alone, if I want to stick to some originality. Reason being........that door still has a presentable wood-grain finish, which is not easy to do
a touch-up on, once you burn the paint with the welder. Plus it has a decent original paper inside. I would either leave the hole there, or
put a small pop-rivet in, and paint the head brown. You don't even need to touch the inside hole, because it can't be seen.
As far as the seller goes, I should know who he is, as he is a long time coin-op music collector, which I am as well, but even though I have
seen his userID, many times in the past, I have never dealt with him on eBay. I do have a couple of people in my files from his listed city,
but I need a last name to look it up. If he was someone I knew well, I would call him, to get more details on the machine.
Hope you make a score. Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Richard13 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:24 pm

Well thanks Bill, the seller is probably a member of this forum and knows I like this machine so is not too eager to
reduce the price or haggle any. This is a nice original machine but does have some condition issues that need addressing.
The listing expired and was extended to sometime in July an I contacted seller again to see if there was any compromise
We could make.

It is not really what I am looking for I want a little duke with vendor or another machine with vendor but it has a simple
Appeal to me. Not like I have a whole lot of extra room or space either lol.

Will see what seller can do and if nothing then another astute collector like yourself may snap it up.
Richard13

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Richard13 wrote:Well thanks Bill, the seller is probably a member of this forum and knows I like this machine so is not too eager to
reduce the price or haggle any. This is a nice original machine but does have some condition issues that need addressing.
The listing expired and was extended to sometime in July an I contacted seller again to see if there was any compromise
We could make.

It is not really what I am looking for I want a little duke with vendor or another machine with vendor but it has a simple
Appeal to me. Not like I have a whole lot of extra room or space either lol.

Will see what seller can do and if nothing then another astute collector like yourself may snap it up.

You're right! Mr. Big Mouth shouldn't have said that "the price was fair", just in case he does follow this Forum.
So, now that I think again about it, "The Price is Ridiculous"! :shock:
And No, I am not interested in it. Way too many projects!
SLOT DYNASTY

Return to E-Bay