Mills Skyscraper

This is the place where pictures of all kinds of Coin Operated devices will be placed. This forum open as of 4/7/2005

Mills Skyscraper

Postby YourBestBet » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:57 pm

Starting a new project this week. Has anyone ever restored a Mills Skyscraper back to its original aluminum, red and black colors? I'm assuming an operator decided to paint mine this awful brown, red and black color scheme.
Attachments
photo.JPG
YourBestBet

Re: Mills Skyscraper

Postby fast_in_muskoka » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:00 pm

YourBestBet wrote:Starting a new project this week. Has anyone ever restored a Mills Skyscraper back to its original aluminum, red and black colors? I'm assuming an operator decided to paint mine this awful brown, red and black color scheme.

I have not restored this Skyscraper, it's still the way I found it. It may have been restored many moons ago . . .

I did a oil, lube, and filter on it last year and was then rewarded with a Jackpot on the second pull.

I took a pick to celebrate the event . . .

Steve
Attachments
AUG 09 2013_35.JPG
fast_in_muskoka

Postby kentdun » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:52 pm

I have a Skyscraper that has an old repaint too. Runs great and has fortune strips. I was thinking of having it repainted, but now might have a buyer. Sorry for the sideways pic, it isn't that way on my computer.
Attachments
DSCF0111.JPG
kentdun

Postby oldslotman » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:30 pm

YourBestBet wrote:Starting a new project this week. Has anyone ever restored a Mills Skyscraper back to its original aluminum, red and black colors? I'm assuming an operator decided to paint mine this awful brown, red and black color scheme.

Good luck. That looks like fun. Can't be as bad as the war eagle.
oldslotman

Postby fast_in_muskoka » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:43 pm

I really like the design of skyscraper slot - nice machines guys.

Every version I've seen ( other than the pic I posted ) has a paper payout mounted behind glass in a metal frame.

This one has a metal payout with the symbols cast or molded down into it and the low spots painted.

That's what makes me think that it was restored 40 - 50 years ago . . .
fast_in_muskoka

Postby altort » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:29 pm

I recently restored my 2 pull, complete tear down of cabinet and mech, came out great one of my favorite machines, interesting to see the different jack pots, never seen the one with the stars
Attachments
resto 2.jpg
altort

Postby kentdun » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:28 pm

Looks like a great paint job. Can I assume you had to hand paint it. Can't imagine it could be sprayed. Are the sides painted or varnished? Mine is painted flat black on the sides. If mine doesn't sell I might tackle a repaint. Never repainted anything larger than a gumball machine.
kentdun

Postby YourBestBet » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:43 am

oldslotman wrote:Good luck. That looks like fun. Can't be as bad as the war eagle.

Thanks! Agree but there are still a lot of crevices!
YourBestBet

Postby YourBestBet » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:45 am

fast_in_muskoka wrote:I really like the design of skyscraper slot - nice machines guys.

Every version I've seen ( other than the pic I posted ) has a paper payout mounted behind glass in a metal frame.

This one has a metal payout with the symbols cast or molded down into it and the low spots painted.

That's what makes me think that it was restored 40 - 50 years ago . . .

I noticed your machine also has a different jackpot with front lock. Very cool.
YourBestBet

Postby YourBestBet » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:47 am

altort wrote:I recently restored my 2 pull, complete tear down of cabinet and mech, came out great one of my favorite machines, interesting to see the different jack pots, never seen the one with the stars

What an awesome machine! =D>
That's the same design/colors I plan on using. The plate with the two stars is removable after taking off the jackpot. It's attached by two simple screws. I haven't decided if I'm going to leave it off and show the double jackpot windows or leave it on because it's not very common.
YourBestBet

Next

Return to Pictures