Watling Exchange

This is the place to post about any fantastic find (past or present) that you think the rest of us would enjoy reading about.

Watling Exchange

Postby rtmccurdy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:24 pm

Hello all. Just picked up a 5-cent Watling Exchange (#12979) in original condition with its original tokens. While doing research on this particular model I noticed that there have been very few examples appearing at auctions (Goldfarb had one) and very few photos on the internet. I have included photos of the exterior, interior, and the tokens. This is way out of my league when it comes to restoration so I am hoping that someone will come to the rescue (location Eastern SD). As you can see the plating on the casting is quite nice. There is a crack in the casting by the handle otherwise all OK. No key for the coin head. Internally there is some light surface rust. Parts all seem to move although will need to be degreased, etc. Reluctant to cycle it which, of course, is driving me nuts---I do not want to damage anything out of naivety. Wheel looks nice. Tokens have 614 on one side (operator ID?) and denomination on the other (5, 10, 25, 50, 100). Other parts were in the coin box (weights for tokens? Lever & shoulder screw). Overall it was exciting to find and very reasonable to purchase. PM if you think you can talk me through the cycle issue please!! Robert
Attachments
MVC-008S.JPG
MVC-009S.JPG
MVC-010S.JPG
MVC-011S.JPG
MVC-012S.JPG
MVC-013S.JPG
rtmccurdy

Re: Watling Exchange

Postby rtmccurdy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:56 am

Well in the true spirit of adventure I primed the coin head and it does cycle---to a point. The nickels do not travel to the retangular viewing window. It looks like both escalator slides are not cycling as they should---which makes me conclude that something is not engaging with the action of the main operating levers. Could use a mechanism photo or two if someone could supply them from a working machine. Robert
Attachments
MVC-015S.JPG
MVC-016S.JPG
rtmccurdy

Re: Watling Exchange

Postby mechanic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:06 pm

Hi Robert Great find!!! From the pics you posted it looks like the coin indexing bar is not going back to zero. It could be a rust issue or lube problem. Doesn't look like its a coin jam. The mech seems to be complete which is a good thing. Later Jim
mechanic

Return to Fantastic Finds