Bonus Horse Head

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Bonus Horse Head

Postby capt7310 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:18 pm

Hey everyone quick question. Everytime I remove the reel bundle from the case it always trips the jackpot and dumps out. I can't to seem to figure out why this is happening, it definitely gets a little stuck trying to remove it but I can't seem to see what's tripping the jackpot. Any thoughts Thanks
capt7310

Re: Bonus Horse Head

Postby MONTI » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:23 pm

capt!
Your front jackpot, when a complete assembly, would lock the front jackpot from dumping when the mech is pulled, see picture below!
Black arrow shows catch point to prevent jackpot from dumping on mech pull!
If the lever as shown in the picture below is not present then it will dump on pulling the mech!
On re inserting the mech after refilling the front jackpot and resetting the front jackpot in the locked non dump position if you slide the mech in gently then in the last inch and a half, approximately push it in fast the front jackpot will not trip as pressure will be applied in such a way that it prevents it if the lock lever in the picture is not on the assembly!

MILLS JACKPOT mech removal latch.jpg
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby capt7310 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:01 am

Hi Monty, Thanks for the info, I think I may have some other issues. I was looking at another jackpot from my other machine I noticed the deflection plate on one machine is always up and moves down with a little amount of weight and the other it's kinda half way down all the time. Don't know which is correct if one spring is weak. The jackpot lever was not going in all the way I had to apply some pressure to make it hook in " the photo marked B that's the hook the was not going in all the way. Comparing both jackpots everything looks exact other than a few sticky levers. I'll put it back in and see what happens. Thank you for your info much appreciated Paul
Attachments
IMG_4196.JPG
IMG_4195.JPG
IMG_4194.JPG
IMG_4192.JPG
IMG_4187.JPG
IMG_4193.JPG
capt7310

Postby MONTI » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:30 am

capt!
The operation of the Mill's Front Jackpot can be a little confusing to someone new to the hobby, especially while still residing in the cabinet with the mech installed hiding its interaction with the mechanism so I usually tell those new to the hobby to remove the front jackpot from the casting making sure to retrieve all shoulder mounting bolts and the fiber washers located on them for replacing the front jackpot correctly!
After front jackpot is removed place the front jackpot in a vise so that you can thoroughly check out its operation and familiarize yourself with how it works!
Making sure that all pivot points are freely moving and not gummed up and that all the internal flaps for the main jackpot, the reserve jackpot, Etc. are operating correctly!
In a slot machine it is good to remember the old saying "That for every action, there is a re-action" as it is definitely true in a slot machine mechanism!
As for the jackpot while mounted in the vise after checking operation it may be necessary to remove cotter keys and remove levers at pivot points for de-greasing and using proper lubrication and replacing.
As with any disassembly remember where all the parts were located prior to disassembly for replacing after cleaning, which in your case as you have two jackpots you can compare them side by side if you loose track of the configuration!
Hopefully some of the pictures below will help you with your understanding of the front jackpot!
Bona Fortuna!
MONTI

1 Front Jackpot activation lever assembly testing.jpg

DSC00143.JPG

2 email JP 3 quarter view.jpg

MILLS Front Jackpot operation.jpg
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP

MONTI

Postby capt7310 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:39 pm

Hey Monti,
Thank you very much for all your input and time. I did lube the jackpot lever and I think that got it. Just if you can answer about the deflection plate if the flap should be loose or a little tight TY Paul
capt7310

Postby MONTI » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:10 am

capt!
If you are speaking of the deflection plate just behind the reserve jackpot then it can be a little loose and not over tight as its function is to fill the reserve jackpot and when the reserve jackpot is full to allow coins to drop down into the coin can!
It should be tight enough to direct coins with maybe only 2 or 3 to accumulate there with anymore than that allowing the coins to drop when the reserve is filled!
If it is too tight then coins could possibly back up which is not wanted, there is a happy medium!
Hope that helps!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP

MONTI

Postby capt7310 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:57 pm

Monti, again thanks for the help. The spring is to weak it doesn't stay up so I will replace the spring I fixed the issue with the dumping of the jackpot all good now with your help.
capt7310

Postby MONTI » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:00 pm

capt!
Your more than welcome, at my age I enjoy talking about the old vintage slot machines and helping the newcomers!
Ciao!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP

MONTI

Return to Slots