New Member of the family arrived today.

This is the place to post about any fantastic find (past or present) that you think the rest of us would enjoy reading about.

Re: New Member of the family arrived today.

Postby MJFHouston » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:38 am

Great machine congratulation. Would love to hear the story behind it. What is the provanonce of the machine. Where...how..any history on machine
MJFHouston

Postby 5inlv » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:44 am

Thanks to everyone for their input on the machine, especially Stephane with his suggestion on how to save the original glass!
Attachments
Indian Head Watling.JPG
5inlv

Postby 5inlv » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:10 pm

MJF- I wish I had some fantastic story to tell but it is quite simple. I purchased the machine from an auction house on the East Coast. Because of its rarity I tried to get the provenance of the machine after the auction. The auctioneer stated that a local elderly gentleman had the machine stored in a closet for a great many years and decided it was time to sell it so he commissioned the auction house. I have given my name and number to the auction house in hopes that I can find out more about the machine. Along with the tokens ( ~1400 of them) there were a few other interesting items in the machine; two coin bags one plain and one from First National Bank in Lead South Dakota, a 10 cent token from Gents Club Room Philip, South Dakota and six pennies dated between 1916-1937.
Last edited by 5inlv on Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5inlv

Postby gsx11r » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:45 pm

Hi 5inlv.

Very, very nice !
Goob job! =D>

Stephane
gsx11r

Postby yanto » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:47 pm

Wow that machine is beautiful!
yanto

Postby marsonion » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:18 pm

5inlv wrote:Thanks to everyone for their input on the machine, especially Stephane with his suggestion on how to save the original glass!

How in the world did you restore that rotten glass?!? :shock:
marsonion

Postby Lol » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:51 am

I had the privilege of Stephane working on my Rol when i visited with him in France. I don't think that there is anything that he does not know about Watling's!
The glass in front of the escalator is made up of two pieces that have been laminated together. Over a long time the adhesive has broken down and it has become cloudy which obscures the glass. Great care must be taken when you prise the glass apart. The glass still might have some adhesive left that is holding the two pieces together. Once apart you can carefully scrape off the old adhesive and polish the glass so that it is clear again. Just an odd dab of clear glue will hold it together and job done, ready to go back in like new. I learnt much from the master.

Another good tip that i learnt. Cleaning the tin lithographed reel strips. These tin strips are very delicate and fragile. Most cleaning solvents, even soft ones will strip the images off the minute they come into contact with a solvent. However there is a way to do it. Meguiars cleaner wax is the answer. Make sure though that it is the liquid in a plastic bottle and not the paste in the tin. I was sceptical when told this will work. I experimented at first and to my delight it worked perfectly and did not disturb the images at all. I even rubbed vigorously. The results were outstanding. All the dirt and grime came off and the tin reel strip lithograph looks very shiny and like new.

Lol (Laurence) UK
Lol

Postby gsx11r » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:13 am

Hello
After some PM , here is my contribution.
Thank you to LOL for his comment .

Well , about the glass , No special secret for this.
It s a security glass. Two glass with glue on the middle. The glue are dead ,and now have a beautiful brown color.
You need to remove the glass from the casting , and put them in Acetone. For a long moment (some days) if you can’t separate them easily. But since the glass is fully brown , I think that you will be able to separate them before to clean them with acetone.

-For remove the glass from the casting .

After , use a Dremel for remove all the glass putty. Remove kindly the glass. Try to separate the 2 glass. If nothing move , don t force !
Put the Glass in a tank with Acetone and wait .
Me, I use a closed tank , Glass and acetone inside, and I put the tank in an ultrasonic cleaner . And after some hours , all the glue is gone .
When the two glass are separated , clean them , put them together , use Silicone for bathroom all arround and wait 24h for be sure that is dry.
If you don t use silicone , when you will put it in the casting with the galss putty , the oil in the glass putty will gone between the two glass .
It s a long job , but you can save the original glass .
If you have more idea , please post your solution. And if my thread is hard to understand with my poor English , please update it with the good language !! #-o
Stéphane
gsx11r

Postby marsonion » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:16 pm

Many thanks, Stéphane and Laurence, for explaining this sensible approach for reclaiming rotten safety glass! I greatly appreciate it.
marsonion

Previous

Return to Fantastic Finds