Mills cash box

Forum rules
This is the place to post any parts that you have for sale.

Mills cash box

Postby Openwater » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:18 am

I have a mills cash box for sale.
Price $45 plus cost of shipping.

Any questions please email me.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Openwater

Re: Mills cash box

Postby Mills Extra Con » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:04 pm

Hi,

I dont suppose you still have this available. I am desperate looking fro a Mills cash box.

Regards,

Marc
Mills Extra Con

Postby JPCass » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:42 pm

Openwater wrote:I have a mills cash box for sale.

I have a cash box like that, also with a bolt on it as a sort of spacer. It's exactly the same size as a QT cash box, though my early QT Firebird has a rectangular hole in the base plate for coins to go through, that presumably needs a case box with a rectangular hole or else coins would pile up (mine has a cash box that's had much of the rear lid removed)

Are these cash boxes with the spacer bolts some sort of adaptation?
Restored Mills 5c Extraordinary "barn find", long gone - now restoring 1934 5c Extraordinary Gold Award with original World's Fair reel strips
Restoring early Mills 5c Firebird (large coin view window)
About to take on a Mills 5c Vest Pocket
JPCass

Postby radiorich123 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:06 am

Have a nice original one for 125.00 + shipping.

Rich
Attachments
MVC-006F.JPG
MVC-005F.JPG
MVC-004F.JPG
REPAIRS ANTIQUE RADIOS AND COIN OPERATED MACHINES EMAIL
radiorich123@yahoo.com
WEB SIGHT www.technician.50megs.com
radiorich123

Postby JPCass » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:12 pm

radiorich123 wrote:Have a nice original one for 125.00 + shipping.

Rich

How long is the cash box?

Here's a photo of the I posted about earlier one of out my mostly original early Extraordinary, in front, which is 10-1/4" long including the spacer bolt, which I had assumed was some adaptation to get a smaller cash box from some other machine to fit. The one behind it, out of my also mostly original and very early QT Firebird, is the same basic body size, 8" long - though it has had a large section of the top cut back; I also can't figure out what sort of pull or handle it would have had originally, as there's just a single small clean hole and no sign of a soldered ring.

Marc, who was looking for one earlier, has first dibs on this, but if this is more correct for my machine than the one I have, I'd take it if he doesn't want it.

IMG_20180927_235632-rsro.jpg
Restored Mills 5c Extraordinary "barn find", long gone - now restoring 1934 5c Extraordinary Gold Award with original World's Fair reel strips
JPCass

Postby radiorich123 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:53 am

My cash box is 9 inches long and 5 3/4 inches wide.
Rich
REPAIRS ANTIQUE RADIOS AND COIN OPERATED MACHINES EMAIL
radiorich123@yahoo.com
WEB SIGHT www.technician.50megs.com
radiorich123

Postby oldslotman » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:16 pm

JPCass wrote:
Openwater wrote:I have a mills cash box for sale.

I have a cash box like that, also with a bolt on it as a sort of spacer. It's exactly the same size as a QT cash box, though my early QT Firebird has a rectangular hole in the base plate for coins to go through, that presumably needs a case box with a rectangular hole or else coins would pile up (mine has a cash box that's had much of the rear lid removed)

Are these cash boxes with the spacer bolts some sort of adaptation?

The bold was put on them to keep them from moving backward. Did not come that way from the factory. There should be a cash box door with a lock on it. It would also keep the cashbox from moving.
Last edited by oldslotman on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldslotman

Postby JPCass » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:50 am

oldslotman wrote:The bolt was put on them to keep them from moving backward. Did not come that way from the factory. There should be a cash box door with a lock on it. It would also keep the door from moving.

Thanks for pointing that out. This is my "d'oh!" moment.

I forgot that the Extraordinary that I have now came without a cash box door - though I have picked up a replacement (a couple along the way, actually) I am only just getting to completing the case restoration that will culminate in my putting everything back together the way it should have been, including that door. Looking carefully at what I've actually got, I can now see that the bolt allowed the machine to be used without a cash box door, extending far enough back from the cash box to rest against the back door instead - which must have been a common solution given the number of them seen, perhaps done for the sake of speed in emptying the machines in operations where they didn't need the extra security.

It is interesting to have figured out along the way that the full-size Silents and the QTs use the same size cash box, unless I'm still missing something. But then because of the different base plate configurations, the QT boxes must have had a rectangular coin flap from the beginning, that later on just became the standard cash box, apparently because it operated more reliably than the round flaps.

I'm also now curious trying to figure out the logic of the key and lock arrangements. On the full-size Silents, a cash box door keyed differently that the back, would have allowed service people access to the mechanism but not the cash box door, which makes sense. However, the mechanism interlock on the QT cash box door creates exactly the reverse situation if the front is keyed differently, that there is access to the cash box without access to the mechanism - or were the keys intended to be same on the QTs?
JPCass

Return to Parts For Sale