Clear Coating Parts

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Clear Coating Parts

Postby Dalanlo » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:26 am

I am cleaning a Mills War Eagle and am wondering if I should coat metal parts with clear acrylic for rust prevention. I would appreciate your advice!
Dalanlo

Re: Clear Coating Parts

Postby mechanic » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:21 pm

I CLEAR LAQUER BEAD BLASTED PARTS IT KEEPS THEM FROM RE OXIDIZING. WIPING THEM DOWN WITH SOME 3 IN 1 OIL IS GOOD AND WILL PREVENT REOXIDIZING FOR A WHILE. IF YOU HAVE THE FACILITIES THE BEST IS TO REPLATE THEM WITH ZINC OR CADMIUM DEPENDING ON WHEN THEY WERE MADE. DURING WW2 ZINC CHROMATE WAS USED FOR SOME MACHINES MAINLY JENNINGS. NO ACRYLIC OR CHROME PLATING INTERNAL PARTS PLEASE !

mechanic

Re: Clear Coating Parts

Postby RameGoom » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:01 pm

I usually bead-blast internal moving parts and give them a thin layer of automotive (VHT) clear gloss clearcoat.

If it's an appearance part, I'll buff the steel to a high polish, and clearcoat it afterwards. Typically, the end result looks like chrome or nickel plating, or very close to it. For display sake, it's just the ticket.
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions