Paces Reel reconditioning advice

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Paces Reel reconditioning advice

Postby JHardie » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:22 am

I inherited a Paces Reel 5 cent slot machine from my Dad. He inherited it from his Dad. It is currently in my living room. It currently plays with or without coins but isn't paying out. It jams sometimes because it's mechanism is loose and a little sloppy. That is first on my list to do.

I would like to recondition it. I have many great memories of my Grandfather, Dad, my kids and now young grandsons. I would love to this machine justice and bring it back in good condition.

I have been unable to find a manual for it. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
JHardie

Re: Paces Reel reconditioning advice

Postby nvmos2 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:07 am

Don't know the term Paces Reel.

Assuming you have one of the bell machines in the Pace Comet family line, there is some good repair material available;
Best help: get a copy of Owner's Pictorial Guide for the Care and Understanding of the Pace Bell Slot Machine from Mead Publishing.
It's out of print, but comes up on eBay and Amazon (there is one listed currently on feeBay with the correct title and description, but all the photos are of the Mead guide for Bally slots, so it's probably not the one you want).

Mead also publishes a reprint of an original Pace parts list and service manual; smaller and less info, but still good to have.

The Coin Slot Guide No. 4 covers the Pace Comet line; not much word description, but a complete IPB with part names and line drawings.

If you posted your location, there may be somebody on this forum close to you that could help.

You will find information on this forum to be far more reliable and accurate than any of the Facebook groups; try the search feature on your specific model machine once you figure out what you've got (post a photo if you're not sure). Have fun tinkering!
nvmos2

Postby nvmos2 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:02 pm

On second thought;

If you took the name from the top glass of your machine, you probably have a Pace's Reels electro-mechanical console machine from the early 1940s.

When you said it came from your grandfather, I was in the mindset of thinking it was an earlier mechanical bell machine.
Pace's Reels came out at end of 1939; to me that's my father's era rather than grandfather (i'm probably old enough to be you father).

The above referenced books may still be helpful to you; the mechanical workings of a Pace's Reels was much the same/similar as earlier models.
nvmos2

Postby JHardie » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:41 pm

20210706_153656.jpg

20210706_153754.jpg

Thank you! That gives me a start.

Yes, my understanding is approximately 1940.
JHardie

Postby mechanic » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:04 pm

NICE LOOKING MACHINE. THE GLASS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART ON THE MACHINE AND ITS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION. THESE MACHINES HAD AN OPTIONAL PINBALL UNIT ON THE RIGHT LOOKS LIKE YOURS DID NOT. SO LOOKING AT THE GREEN FIELD IS WHERE THE UNIT WOULD HAVE BEEN. THE CABINET IS REALLY NEAT IF ITS RESTORED PROPERLY . MECHANISM INSIDE IS A STANDARD PACE COMET JUST WITH A FEW MODIFICATIONS BEING ITS A CONSOLE MACHINE. KEEP IT IN THE FAMILY.
mechanic

Postby JHardie » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:21 pm

Thank you!!!

Yes, I am keeping it in the family.
JHardie

Postby clubconsoles » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:36 pm

These are beautiful machines when restored.
pm me if you need help, i can shoot movie of mine working if you like?
Attachments
6c912195-1a9e-431a-bf32-0f8fa3078fc3.jpg
c8434b56-d778-490c-becd-39ccb97ec1a8.jpg
25e39ba9-3e02-46dd-bc18-b57b23aba8c3.jpg
clubconsoles

Postby JHardie » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:41 am

Thank you for your reply. I always wondered what the other side could look like. Yes, they are beautiful machines.

Also thank you for the offer of advice I will keep you in mind. I recently had another project crop up and plan on getting started on this soon after it's completed.
JHardie

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions