Reels bounce off brakes (Bursting Cherry)

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: Reels bounce off brakes (Bursting Cherry)

Postby oldslotman » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:35 pm

I don't believe it will turn. It is on there solid
oldslotman

Postby mechanic » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:11 pm

Seen the pics and the stops all look fine. I'm going back to the brake wires are not properly adjusted. Also you need to put a drop of oil on the wires where they make contact with the hubs and make sure the wires are in the grooves of the hubs. Adjust the tension one at a time that should stop the bounce .
mechanic

Postby Shane » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:16 pm

I used J.B. Weld to patch the worn down area on the block (see pics). it seems to work good. We will see if it holds up over time. It reduced the bounce considerably but there is still some bounce back - occasionally going back a full symbol.

Tweaking the brake rods helps reduce the bounce more but it seems that with these old style (fixed block) brake levers there is always going to be some bounce. My newer Black Cherry with spring loaded blocks is much smoother.

Shane
Attachments
Reel Stop Lever repair - Aug19a.JPG
Reel Stop Lever repair - Aug19.JPG
Shane

Postby mechanic » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:25 pm

DUH DUH AND DUH !!!! SOMETIMES I GET A BRAIN FREEZE !!! YOU SAID IT YOURSELF THE OTHER MACHINE WITH THE SPRINGS ON THE ARM ARE MUCH SMOOTHER. THE REASON IS THESE REEL STOPS WERE MEANT FOR A 10 STOP BUNDLE NOT A TWENTY. CHECK BY SWITCHING THE LATER MODEL ARM WITH THE ARM THATS ON NOW. AND WATCH THE ACTION. I BELIEVE IT WILL STOP COMPLETELY.
mechanic

Postby Shane » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:38 pm

Mechanic,

When I first read your post I thought you were mocking me. I apologize if you got my first reply.

do you think I have the wrong stop levers? I assumed the difference was due to the machine being older and the spring loaded levers had not been invented yet. While the newer ones work better I don’t want to change them out if they are not consistent with the vintage of the Bursting Cherry machine.

Shane
Shane

Postby mechanic » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:49 am

NOPE NOT MOCKING YOU JUST BEATING MYSELF UP. THE STOPS SHOULD HAVE THE SPRING ON THEM. THE TEETH WERE CLOSER TOGETHER ON THE 20 STOP AND IT MAKES THE SQUARE SKIP OCCASIONALLY THATS WHERE THE SPRING LOADED STOPS TAKE UP THE SHOCK JUST LIKE A SHOCK ABSORBER. EVERY DAY I GET A BIT MORE VINTAGE !!!!!!!!! LOL
mechanic

Postby Shane » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:07 am

Makes sense and helps explain the excessive wear on the block.

Thanks,

Shane
Shane

Previous

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions