Mills hightop payout issues

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Mills hightop payout issues

Postby ThirdGenAmusement » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:56 pm

Hello,

I recently bought a Mills Nickel High Top at an estate sale and intend to resell it. The mech looked like it had been regularly squirted with oil and was basically dripping off everywhere so I pulled the mech, disassembled cleaned and reassembled including the pay slides. Upon disassemble I noticed the slide springs were shorter than normal. I ordered a payout spring kit from MrSlot and put them on when I reassembled. Prior to cleaning the mech, the slot had a tendency of shorting one nickel from time to time. Every once in awhile a nickel would get "flung" past the hole it would normally drop into on a payout to end up in the payout tray. But instead it would get "flung" on the base plate. Though replacing the springs was a good move, it didn't totaly solve my issue. Anyone have thoughts or ideas? Pay slides appear to be in good condition and I checked them for burrs or anything prior to reassembly.

I did pull the mech out and set it on wood blocks to see what was happening during the payout. I have attached a link to a short video showing the force the bottom most nickel in the pay slide gets ejected. Let me know if you have any ideas.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FjS1FU2Z56QZmcqH8
ThirdGenAmusement

Re: Mills hightop payout issues

Postby oldslotman » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:14 pm

My guess is that you are missing the leather bumper that the payout slides rest against when they are tripped. Payout slide is going to far backwards.
oldslotman

Postby ThirdGenAmusement » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:42 am

oldslotman wrote:My guess is that you are missing the leather bumper that the payout slides rest against when they are tripped. Payout slide is going to far backwards.

Thanks for your reply. The leather piece is pretty warn so I will look into that also. I have attached some pics of the slides. This is a Frankenstein mech I am afraid. There is no safety slide. If possible, check out my photos and let me know what you think of the slide situation or if you think it stil is the leather piece.

Your help is appreciated!
Attachments
IMG_20200117_091727.jpg
IMG_20200117_091721.jpg
IMG_20200117_091715.jpg
IMG_20200117_091250.jpg
ThirdGenAmusement

Postby oldslotman » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:39 am

I believe you have to clean up that hole and make it round to match the payout slides. The coin are most likely not dropping out cleanly like they should. That piece that is screwed in there is taking the place of the safety slide.
oldslotman

Postby mechanic » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:49 am

Just putting my 2 cents in on this. It looked weird that the slide posts were oversize so checked the rest of the pics and noticed a part with Sega numbers on it. This could be another problem someone tried to convert it from foreign coin to american which would explain the shims on the bottom of the posts. If there is a stationary plate attached to the bottom of the casting that the slides sit on then it's the safety slide alternative. Check for more parts with the part numbers stamped on them, it will help determining if it just happened to have a Sega part added or it is a modified Sega mech.
mechanic

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions