ARGH solvent smell

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

ARGH solvent smell

Postby cangrande » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:47 pm

This is more of a mini-rant than anything else -- I bought a Mills Vest Pocket on eBay (my first slot!) and it works fine but damn when I got it it reeked of some kind of automotive solvent, and it took a lot of disassembly and wiping down before I could let it stay in the house.

I get that people have a gummed up old slot and they want to see if it can be made to work, but jeez don't just spray it with something noxious and call it day.

Had to explain to the girlfriend why I was washing a bowl of nickels in the sink HAHAHAHAHAHAH, it was that bad.

Anyway, love my Vest Pocket, they're quite a little engineering marvel.

If any of you have a recommendation for a degreaser/solvent/gunk remover let's hear it.
cangrande

Re: ARGH solvent smell

Postby RameGoom » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:09 pm

The stuff I use is contraband. It's Trichloroethane, originally used to clean electrical panels. Got them from a friend who was an electrician, and still have a stash of aerosol cans that I've kept for 40 years. so I use is sparingly. It's a hydrocarbon, so it's been blacklisted and banned for probably 15-20 years.

But there's nothing like it. Degreases, evaporates and leaves no residue or odor. It's by and far the best solvent ever made.

Seems like everything that's good is bad.

trichloroethane.jpg
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby saloonkpr » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:02 pm

AND...Some How this is SUPPOSED to Be HELPFUL
saloonkpr

Postby RameGoom » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:11 pm

Well, if you're intuitive, you just might find a similar solvent out there. No one will advertise, but if you ask the right questions, you'll find what you're looking for.

Key words: No Residue, Degreaser, No Odor, Removes Oil And Grease....etc.
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby cpdretired » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:24 am

I would not use this as it is toxic.
https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=430&tid=76
cpdretired

Postby Quashnock » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:55 am

I've got a can or two of electrical contact cleaner - trichloroethane. It is very effective. However, you can still purchase (except in California) many solvents that once evaporated, leave no residue nor odor. Acetone is an excellent fast dryer that removes water and oils. Heptane and naptha are also good. Try Coleman Fuel. It is a mixture of this and I use it after cleaning clock mechanisms to remove last traces of oil and water. Again - let all the solvent evaporate before sealing up the unit.
Quashnock

Postby MONTI » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:10 am

Well, I know everyone will have their personal opinion on the proper cleaning/lubricating items but here is my personal ARSENAL of what I use!
Also packs up well for my TO GO service call kit!
I realize there are many items on the market but these are my current favorites!
Just a suggestion and most, if not all of these, are available at your local hardware store!
Hope this helps!
Bona Fortuna!
MONTI

PERSONAL CLEANING ITEMS.jpg
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions