Please forgive the ignorance, I'm new to this

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Please forgive the ignorance, I'm new to this

Postby OHO » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:00 pm

Hello, and thanks for looking. I have a Mills HH 5 cent machine, recently refinished, and I have been having issues with it. I was hoping for some assistance. The largest issue that I have is that the coins dropping out of the escalator will occasionally jam into the throat of the collecting tube, and will stop additional coins from falling, resulting in the piling up of coins and eventually jamming of the machine. Do I need to lubricate the throat, use cleaner nickels, clean the escalator drop area?

Secondly, there is a collection cup in the upper right hand corner of the machine, and it would collect any coins that I have pulled out of the escalator when it jams. On the second jam repair, I noticed several more coins in this cup than what I left the last time. Can anyone tell me the other functions of the cup?

Lastly, is there a source that anyone can point me to that would show an exploded view of a slot machine so that I could learn the name of the parts? Kinda frustrating using terms like "throat of the collecting tube" in hopes that you might know what I am describing.

THANKS in advance for any assistance!
OHO

Re: Please forgive the ignorance, I'm new to this

Postby atac » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:17 pm

I have a Mills service manual that shows an exploded view and has all the parts labeled. I don't think it would be much help though. What you really need is the Daniel Mead book "Owners Pictorial Guide for the care and understanding of the Mills Bell Slot machine". You can check with Mead publishing or find a copy on ebay or Amazon or the other usual sources. It goes in/out of print and I'm not sure it's in print or not right now, but you can find a copy. (In print for $50 direct from Mead or Amazon) $40-$50 or so is about normal, so be patient if you're only seeing a lone copy for $250. (Saw one used copy on ebay for $40+$5 shipping).

As to your issues--there's a lever that sticks through the back of the coin tube, commonly called a wiper that moves the coins to the jackpot/cash box when they fall from the escalator and the coin tube is full. Sounds like that's missing, not in the correct position or sometimes that lever is frozen with grease. One of those is your main issue. You probably have to remove the "pull down" lever (the one with a upside down "U" at the top) to get at the coin tube screw to reinsert the wiper lever if it's not in position.

As to the slug catcher--it's for slugs or incorrect coins like dimes or pennies put into a nickel machine, or also sometimes it catches coins if you put in more than one coin before playing the machine. You just need to play the machine for each coin and not keeping adding coins if there's a jam, etc, or they will jam the escalator or end up in the slug catcher cup.
atac

Re: Please forgive the ignorance, I'm new to this

Postby OHO » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:37 am

many thanks for the great information! I really appreciate it. Found the book at a reasonable price on ebay.

the wiper was easy to find, looks like it is swinging freely, but I'll fill the tube later today and look at it.

thanks again!
OHO

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions