Mech Oiling

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Mech Oiling

Postby flip » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:34 am

Can anyone post a good picture of where the oil holes are on the Main Operating Lever and Reel Operating Lever? Not clear to me when I examine my Mills mechs. Oiled my clock regularly but saw this info on eBay and thought I needed to start oiling these. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
oil.jpg
flip

Re: Mech Oiling

Postby mazzeosa17 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:40 am

I'm not sure where those holes are that you reference in your note-they don't sound familiar. As a general rule, here's what I do for slot machine oiling and maintenance. Mating surfaces that rub each other/rotate should be oiled if they start to stick. Grease can be used on heavier wearing parts/bushings, but I try to use as little grease as possible, and instead use 3 in 1 oil, as grease can collect dirt, especially if exposed to the air. I usually use grease where oil would run away in use. Don't use oil around any part that contacts the coins, such as the coin tube and payout slides.
The Mead and Geddes repair book says to oil and grease it every 6 months, but I only do it every few years.
mazzeosa17

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions