Caille Silent Sphinx - 4 reel

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Caille Silent Sphinx - 4 reel

Postby taschwen » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:51 pm

Does anyone know how the 4th reel works on a Caille Silent Sphinx. Also, does anyone know of any parts for this machine?
taschwen

Re: Caille Silent Sphinx - 4 reel

Postby BALTMANHD103 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:40 pm

Your best bet is Squirres and Corrie in California for Caille parts expect expensive and slow shipping but he is quit knowledgeable.
BALTMANHD103

Postby marsonion » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:12 pm

taschwen wrote:Does anyone know how the 4th reel works on a Caille Silent Sphinx. Also, does anyone know of any parts for this machine?

Some persnickety types call it the "first reel," and I see their point... but the lemony-reel is such an awkward and obvious add-on to the standard three-reel mech, I always call it the 4th reel too! 8)

How it "works" is hardly at all: there is no mechanical payout for the 1-2-3-4 "Grand Prize." That's paid over the counter by the regretful operator. Some operators hid the 4th reel with a card or simply painted it over, they resented this poor excuse for a gimmick so much.

Functionally, the 4th reel just gets lazily dragged along by the first reel, and has no payout wheel associated with it. Look to the right-hand rear of the mechanism, and you should find a small counter-ticker, ratcheted to a probe gizmo at the reel hub; you should find a slot in the reel hub which coincides with the #1 lemon symbol appearing in the reel window. The counter-ticker cannot be engaged by that probe to the hub unless the 1-2-3-4 symbol order comes up on the other reels... I'll leave it to you to explore the details of the Rube Goldberg contraption that makes that counter tick over to the next number, to validate and verify that a "Grand Prize" payout was indeed owed to the player by the grumbling, cursing operator.

Sorry, can't help anyone find Caille Superior-style parts anywhere, least of all at a reasonable price. You might keep watching eBay for parts machines, but it's always the same old story: the available parts are never the ones you need, which are always the same ones everybody else is looking for. :evil:
Attachments
$T2eC16R,!zQE9s3ssOOGBRSf01YQkw~~60_57.jpg
marsonion

Postby taschwen » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:05 am

Thanks for the info!! Maybe that is why the machine I just picked up is missing the "4th reel". Oh, well it wasn't that expensive and it seems to work well without it....
taschwen

Postby taschwen » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:21 am

slot.jpg
taschwen

Postby mechanic » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:50 pm

TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE AND I DON'T KNOW MUCH, CAILLE NEVER MADE A 4 REEL SILENT SPHINX. THE SPHINX WAS THE VERY FIRST PUMP MODEL CAILLE MADE, SO IF THE MECH HAS A CLOCK THEN SOMEONE SWITCHED MECHS WHICH MAY NOT BE A BAD THING AS YOU'D ALREADY HAVE HALF OF A 4 REEL SUPERIOR. IF THE MECH IS A PUMP TYPE THEN SOMEONE SWITCHED REEL WINDOW FRAMES WITH A FOUR REEL STYLE. SO IF THAT IS THE CASE THEN ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS FIND THE RIGHT WINDOW GLASS FRAME.
mechanic

Postby marsonion » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:58 pm

mechanic wrote:TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE AND I DON'T KNOW MUCH, CAILLE NEVER MADE A 4 REEL SILENT SPHINX. THE SPHINX WAS THE VERY FIRST PUMP MODEL CAILLE MADE, SO IF THE MECH HAS A CLOCK THEN SOMEONE SWITCHED MECHS WHICH MAY NOT BE A BAD THING AS YOU'D ALREADY HAVE HALF OF A 4 REEL SUPERIOR. IF THE MECH IS A PUMP TYPE THEN SOMEONE SWITCHED REEL WINDOW FRAMES WITH A FOUR REEL STYLE. SO IF THAT IS THE CASE THEN ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS FIND THE RIGHT WINDOW GLASS FRAME.

Yes, they most certainly did make Silent Sphinxes in four-reel versions, and advertised this as an option:
Attachments
PennyBallGum.jpg
Caille%20Silent%20Sphinx%201932-1934.jpg
ThreeOrFourReels.jpg
marsonion

Postby mechanic » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:46 pm

marsonion wrote:
mechanic wrote:TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE AND I DON'T KNOW MUCH, CAILLE NEVER MADE A 4 REEL SILENT SPHINX. THE SPHINX WAS THE VERY FIRST PUMP MODEL CAILLE MADE, SO IF THE MECH HAS A CLOCK THEN SOMEONE SWITCHED MECHS WHICH MAY NOT BE A BAD THING AS YOU'D ALREADY HAVE HALF OF A 4 REEL SUPERIOR. IF THE MECH IS A PUMP TYPE THEN SOMEONE SWITCHED REEL WINDOW FRAMES WITH A FOUR REEL STYLE. SO IF THAT IS THE CASE THEN ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS FIND THE RIGHT WINDOW GLASS FRAME.

Yes, they most certainly did make Silent Sphinxes in four-reel versions, and advertised this as an option:

IT IS THE BEST PART OF THIS HOBBY, YOU ALWAYS FIND OUT SOMETHING NEW NO MATTER HOW LONG YOU'VE BEEN IN IT. FOR 40 YRS THE ONLY SPHINX MACHINES HERE THAT I'VE COME ACROSS WERE AND ARE 3 REEL. WHATS MORE INTERESTING IS NONE ARE IN MY AREA AND I'M ONLY 65 MI. FROM WHERE THEY WERE BUILT. SO THEY MUST HAVE ALL BEEN SHIPPED OUT OF STATE.
mechanic

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions