Fixing Bally's Super Continental

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Fixing Bally's Super Continental

Postby mgh151 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:03 am

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, my wife can home and said "I've got a project for you!" and unrevealed a Bally Super Continental from who knows when. I've restored 80's arcade machines and am a Computer Engineer that can handle himself around a solder gun and a meter. The machine lights up when plugged but the play count, credit counter handle don't operate. Keys didn't come with machine and peeking in the top hole i'm pretty sure there is a mouse nest in there. What a "project" all right.
There are 3 locks on the machine, one tumbler lock on the Reel door, and 2 locks on the right side of the machine, one next to the cabinet# and one below the pull handle.

I've attached a few pics of the three lock locations.

Question for you guys,

What are the 3 locks for? I'm assuming the tumbler opens the Reel door are the other 2 switches for something?

What is the best way to get inside without keys?

Anyone know where i could find a tech/repair manual?

Baltimore Blues....
Attachments
PXL_20210124_165718779.jpg
locks
PXL_20210124_163109717.jpg
SN
PXL_20210124_163119637.jpg
Front of machine
mgh151

Re: Fixing Bally's Super Continental

Postby capt7310 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:27 am

Hello, There is another site called New Life Games there is a ton of info and knowledgeable guys that no almost everything about electrical/mechanical Ballys machines. Good Luck
capt7310

Re: Fixing Bally's Super Continental

Postby mazzeosa17 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:27 pm

I also have a Bally Super Continental, made in 1970. I think the most useful book is the "Owner's Pictorial Guide For the Care and Understanding of The Bally Slot Machine" by Robert Geddes and Daniel Mead. There's also "The Complete Service Manual For Bally Slot Machines (Electromechanicals 1964-1980)" from Liberty Belle Books by Marshall Fey. In addition, there is "Bally Slot Machines - Service Instructions and Parts catalog" originally published by Bally Manufacturing Corporation Gaming Division. You should be able to find the first and third books on the internet, and I think Liberty Belle Books still sells their book direct to customers.

Regarding the locks, to me the main one to open is on the right side of the door (the left-most lock in your photo) that allows you to swing the main door from right to left, so you can access the reel mechanism and payout hopper - a locksmith should be able to get that open. I think the other locks just reset counters on the machine or after a major jackpot, but I'm not sure on that, and they're not critical.
mazzeosa17

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions