Mills FOK keeps locking up - success

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Mills FOK keeps locking up - success

Postby Walter Newton » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:14 pm

I have the Mead book on the care and feeding of Mills machines coming in the mail, but until then, I have a few questions.

I keep getting a lockup, handle pulls about a 1/4 of the way down, locks up. If I take the mech out, I can finish cycle with using a big screwdriver.

In the close up (and excuse my terminology, I don't know what every part is called), shouldn't that "B" part sit over the "foot" on the coin advance lever?

I don't think the "tip" of that "B" part should be sitting on the foot like that?

(click on the second pic, and then enlarge, to see my markings)

Input?
Attachments
mills_fok_front.jpg
mills_fok_esc_linkage.jpg
Last edited by Walter Newton on Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Walter Newton

Re: Mills FOK keeps locking up

Postby oldslotman » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:37 pm

not suppose to be like that. Got to bend B a little.
oldslotman

Postby Walter Newton » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:44 pm

oldslotman wrote:not suppose to be like that. Got to bend B a little.

I didn't think so, especially when I compared it to the back views of other Mills slots.

I just didn't want to do something "radical" until I got some input.

There is nothing I can see getting in the way of the handle. I'm under the opinion that if the tip of "B" is sitting on that foot, then when the handle gets pulled, "B" is not travelling far enough down, and that creates the lockup.

Thanks.
Walter Newton

Postby oldslotman » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:51 pm

Walter Newton wrote:
oldslotman wrote:not suppose to be like that. Got to bend B a little.

I didn't think so, especially when I compared it to the back views of other Mills slots.

I just didn't want to do something "radical" until I got some input.

There is nothing I can see getting in the way of the handle. I'm under the opinion that if the tip of "B" is sitting on that foot, then when the handle gets pulled, "B" is not travelling far enough down, and that creates the lockup.

Thanks.

That is correct. It is limiting the travel
oldslotman

Re: Mills FOK keeps locking up -update

Postby Walter Newton » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:50 am

I bent the "B" part (see pictures above) just enough so the "hook" end engages the "foot" of the coin advance lever.

That's fine now, but, the machine still locks up.

Here is a picture of the mech, in mid cycle.

Sitting out of the case, I can finish this cycle using the long screwdriver method.

Anyone see anything that I'm missing?
Attachments
mills_fok_stopped_mid_cycle.jpg
Walter Newton

Postby oldslotman » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:47 pm

Yes. The lever with long piece wire on it is not being pushed far enough out of the way to allow the cycle to finish . Push the wire forward from the back of the machine and you will see the lever move out of the way and allow the machine to finish the cycle. Take the spring off that bottom lever and it will stay out of the way and will not hamper the operation of the machine.
oldslotman

Postby Walter Newton » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:42 am

oldslotman wrote:Yes. The lever with long piece wire on it is not being pushed far enough out of the way to allow the cycle to finish . Push the wire forward from the back of the machine and you will see the lever move out of the way and allow the machine to finish the cycle. Take the spring off that bottom lever and it will stay out of the way and will not hamper the operation of the machine.

Spot on Oldslotman.

I removed the spring on the operating lever stop and pin assembly. shoved the mech back in the case, it now cycles fine, even got my first payout.

I got the Mead book yesterday, and I can't figure out what that part even does (except in my case, gums up the mech).

Thanks again.
Walter Newton

Re: Mills FOK keeps locking up - success

Postby oldslotman » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:01 am

I believe it was used to be able the cycle the machine without the escalator being advanced.
oldslotman

Re: Mills FOK keeps locking up - success

Postby mechanic » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:14 pm

GREASE IS KING. GREASE THE PEG AND TOP OF THE LOCKOUT AND OIL THE SHOULDER SCREW IT LOOKS REALLY DRY. THEN IT SHOULD WORK.
mechanic

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions