Jennings SunChief-payout question

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Jennings SunChief-payout question

Postby ThirdGenAmusement » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:07 am

Hello,

I recently purchased a .25 Jennings Sun Chief from a guy who inherited it and wasn't the least bit interested in the slot. He had limited knowledge of its past so wasn't much help with info.

Per the manufactures tag inside the machine, it started out life as a tic-tac-toe model. The current payout card and reels are for a standard model(non tic-tac-toe). The payouts dont match what the current payout card reads. In fact, sometimes its a non traditional 'win' on the reels rather than 3 oranges payout, it might be a lemon, orange and a bell. I have lined up the alignment holes in the payout disks and its apparent the reel strips are not properly lined up or even match the payout. Furthermore, there are several 'bugs' put into the payout slots of the payout disks limiting payout. So, I believe the mech and payout disks are indeed for this machine but were modified to match whomever put this together in recent years had for parts.

I would appreciate people to check out the pics provided and give an opinion if my hunch is correct. I would rather return this to a tic-tac-toe if at all possible. Also, I notice in the Catalin show some black streaks on the front. I have seen other machines have these while there are some out there with no black streaks. In the jukebox world you could polish the Catelin but not sure if anything should be done to these.
Attachments
20210714_200023.jpg
Manufactures tag
bugs.jpg
Close up of bugs
received_1192481777932141.jpeg
Front view
ThirdGenAmusement

Re: Jennings SunChief-payout question

Postby mechanic » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:17 pm

THE REEL STRIPS MAY BE WRONG AS JENNINGS MADE VARIATIONS AND USED THE SAME PART NUMBER. CHECK FOR V12-82XX ON THE STRIP
mechanic

Postby atac » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:36 pm

Looks like a tic tac toe mech (6 vertical fingers). Can't see enough of the bundle to tell if it's a tic tac toe bundle. Your case serial number is 179628 - I'd check the center bottom of the mech to see if it matches (doubt it, but worth a try!). Either your reels have moved so they no longer match your symbols or the bundle has been messed with. You would need to go through each disk and figure out the 20 symbols and see if you can find a strip to match in Rick Frink's catalog. Or if you're lucky just the reels have been moved. Can't tell from the pic whether the strips are original or replacements.
atac

Postby ThirdGenAmusement » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:18 am

Thank you for the reply! I will do some more digging but I am hoping all I will need to do is remove the bugs in the payout disks, replace the reel strips with correct strips, then replace the payout card. May also have to replace the top glass also. I am not sure if they also said tic-tac-toe along with the sunchief and .25 or if it is similar to what I have. I do have one of Rick's catalogs so I will reference the strips there.

The mech serial number is different than on the tag inside the case. It is 157825. I believe that the mech is older than the case?

Let me know if there is further info I can provide to show if the paydisks are for a tic-tac-toe or how I would tell. Also, how do I know what reel strips I would need if the mech is set up for tic-tac-toe after I remove the 'bugs' in the payout disk to expose the slot for the payout finger?
Attachments
20210714_200300.jpg
Mech serial number
ThirdGenAmusement

Postby oldslotman » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:32 am

Where are you located? Maybe there is someone in your area that can help you.
oldslotman

Postby atac » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:51 pm

Tic Tac Toe disks are pretty easy to identify--the finger that corresponds to the disk is the first one as you face the mech from the back (6th from the front), so the corresponding holes are on the outer ring of holes (6th ring from the inside) of the disk. And there would be 3 consecutive holes in the disk for each bar - one for the bar in the top window, next for the bar in the middle window and the third for the bar in the bottom window.

As far as the Tic Tac Toe card--most Sun Chiefs had the Tic Tac Toe combinations on the bottom of the award card. I'm not aware of any Sun Chief saying Tic Tac Toe on the marquee. If it turns out you have a Tic Tac Toe bundle, you could get a Tic Tac Toe decal from Dave Berten and put it on the jackpot window instead of messing with the card as yours looks like a nice original.
atac

Postby ThirdGenAmusement » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:52 am

oldslotman wrote:Where are you located? Maybe there is someone in your area that can help you.

I am in Kansas City. Not a lot of us slot people here unfortunately.
ThirdGenAmusement

Postby ThirdGenAmusement » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:56 am

atac wrote:Tic Tac Toe disks are pretty easy to identify--the finger that corresponds to the disk is the first one as you face the mech from the back (6th from the front), so the corresponding holes are on the outer ring of holes (6th ring from the inside) of the disk. And there would be 3 consecutive holes in the disk for each bar - one for the bar in the top window, next for the bar in the middle window and the third for the bar in the bottom window.

As far as the Tic Tac Toe card--most Sun Chiefs had the Tic Tac Toe combinations on the bottom of the award card. I'm not aware of any Sun Chief saying Tic Tac Toe on the marquee. If it turns out you have a Tic Tac Toe bundle, you could get a Tic Tac Toe decal from Dave Berten and put it on the jackpot window instead of messing with the card as yours looks like a nice original.

Perfect. I appreciate that explanation. It actually does make sense. I have some experience in slots but I havent had a chance to see the workings of a tic-tac-toe. Or to match up reel strips to the payout of a mech. So this will be a fun challenge!
ThirdGenAmusement

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions