Rol-A-Top Paint Colors

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Rol-A-Top Paint Colors

Postby offthewall » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:05 pm

Looking to repaint a Rol-A-Top machine in the correct colors. Does anyone have any advice on what paints to use that look correct? Specifically looking for the technique for the gold coins and the paint for that.
Thanks!!
Attachments
IMG_2668.jpg
offthewall

Re: Rol-A-Top Paint Colors

Postby RoudyRick » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:10 pm

I have an original unmolested dime machine and the colors are the same as your picture shows. I'm not an expert by any means but I have seen them in many different color combinations. The only item I see consistently the same would be the coins, they are shiny gold or silver. Probably your best bet would be to search the net for pictures. The older books I have show the "Rol-A-Top" to be the color of yours :)
RoudyRick

Postby capt7310 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:35 pm

Personally just my opinion I would leave it all original,,,I just picked up this 1933 Mills FOK from an estate that was there in the house for over 50 yrs. I thought it was the coolest and all I did was clean off the dust and re-grease it. It has so much history I didn't want to remove it. Just my 2 cents
Attachments
20220117_155656.jpg
capt7310

Postby RoudyRick » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:50 pm

I agree on leaving it as original. Just use a paint brush with "Simple Green" cleaner then a soft cotton cloth to wipe it down.
RoudyRick

Postby atac » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:48 pm

I would defer to Watlingboy, but I'm sure he would suggest that you not strip and paint that one. It's too nice. Soap and water with a toothbrush. That's it.
atac

Postby watlingboy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:31 am

The only color scheme Watling used on pre WWII Rol-A-Tops is the one you have. The only variation is the flat part of the top casting on cast in horn machines is sprayed with clear tinted lacquer, like yours, and on the removable horn machines, that flat area is painted yellow.

The Rol-A-Top and Treasury machines are, in my opinion, the most difficult to restore correctly. That is because getting the gold finish on the coins is difficult and takes practice but it is possible to accurately reproduce it. The castings were never brass, gold or nickel plated. It also requires a lot of detail painting, some sprayed and some hand painted. I agree with Atac, this machine would clean up very nicely with a soft tooth brush, dish soap and patience. Collectors are always looking for nice unrestored machines. Too many nice examples have been restored that should have be left original. In comparing color combinations on machines, the only ones to trust are unrestored original machines, not restored ones.

George
watlingboy

Postby nvmos2 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:19 pm

IMHO: agree with all of the above; keep it original as possible.

Concerning the Rol-A-Top; The best advice you're going to get is from watlingboy.

Concerning the Mills FOK pictured above; beautiful original paint scheme.
Not what you often see; when Slot Machines on Parade came out (it's a great coffee table book, but has many errors) it pictured an FOK with a flashy incorrect paint scheme (probably done before the correct colors were known).
Ever since, you'll find a lot of the FOKs have been "restored" using the Slots on Parade photo as a model; every time I see one, I can't help but think "Looks good, but it's just plain wrong."
Personally, I'd much prefer one with the original minimalist paint scheme as shown above.
nvmos2

Postby offthewall » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:24 pm

Thank you all for the replies. Original paint with a cleanup it is!!

Steve
offthewall

Postby RoudyRick » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:12 pm

For what it's worth my 10 center is the same colors :)
RoudyRick

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions