Mills Pageboy Console HELP

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Mills Pageboy Console HELP

Postby marsonion » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:16 pm

Got things up and running on a Mills Pageboy Console (you know, like an Extraordinary, but different) for a friend, and everything works nice... except the reel kick is annoyingly weak. Can somebody give me quick pointers on how to put more oomph into the kicker? I don't care to fiddle around with this one and try to figure it out for myself, especially since I can't even figure out why the mech won't kick the reels when I try to cycle it outside the cabinet (Put the mech back into the console and it launches, but the reels just don't spin very fast on the weak kick. The reels themselves can free-wheel around just fine and the brake wires are about as un-tensioned as they can be without falling off).

I took pictures, but my wife walked off with the iPhone cord again. It's serial# 533180, and the inspection tag says "158A-4 11-46" at the bottom, in case those last four digits indicate some sort of date. Green/gold original wrinkle paint, 25c, 2/5 payout. Lots of scuffs at the bottom of the console cabinet where losers kicked it across several decades... looks a lot better after being drenched in teak oil.

While I'm here, does anybody, anywhere know how to pick a Mills original lock? Part of my friend's problem was he lost the key to the hand-load jackpot; I got at that lock from the inside, after my friend had hired a brutal locksmith who practically ripped through the back door to get it off. The original Mills back door lock was reduced to a mess of brass filings all around inside the mech, especially the clock (that's primarily what my friend called me to deal with). At any rate, I made a makeshift key for the JP plug, because I could get that Mills barrel out and see what I was doing to get the pins to retract. Unfortunately, there is a third mills lock on this Pageboy, to the bottom rear of the console cabinet, and I'm totally out to sea on that one... naturally, we'd like to get access to that portion of the cabinet, but I'll be damned if I'll let any savage locksmith lay waste to that original Mills lock, too!
marsonion

Re: Mills Pageboy Console HELP

Postby MONTI » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:14 am

Marsonian!
Probably a very nice Club Royale Page Boy, looking forward to a photo of it!
On the kick issue I imagine you've already checked all the obvious, mech timing adjustment for being correct, reel kick shoe for wear, reels stopping with all reel discs lined up for a proper alignment with the reel kick shoe for a proper kick action, proper operation of the reel kick assembly free moving, lubricated, spring tension, Etc.
As for picking the original Mills Bell lock, after 50 years doing this other than the ones that have been "modified" after dis-assembly, etc. the original Mills untouched locks have always escaped the workings of my lock pick set so no help there from this "Old Slot Mech", LOL!
I have always heard stories that the original Mills lock could be picked but have never visually witnessed it!
Who knows, someone here may have!
Oh, and the Serial number and inspection date are accurate for leaving the factory April, May of 1946!
BONA FORTUNA
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby marsonion » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:41 pm

Thanks, Monti! A few images below for you. I figured if anybody could help, it'd be you... I half-expected you'd have an illustrated tutorial on adjusting reel kickers just for Mills consoles! :D
You imagine I already checked all of those common-sense items, but you imagine wrong! I couldn't even get a reel kick to occur outside the cabinet, and spent less than five minutes trying to figure out why. Then I thought, OK, better to get some advice from people who know what they're doing... I gather that there's no specific spring-tensioner adjustment to the reel kicker or anything like that. I got a PM from Watlingboy saying he might have some items I can check out, so I'll give him a call soon. I sure appreciate you telling me what the production date for this CRPB is, too; my friend asked me several times when it was made, and I just kept shrugging "how should I know?" Now I can tell him! Many thanks--

MONTI wrote:Marsonian!
Probably a very nice Club Royale Page Boy, looking forward to a photo of it!
On the kick issue I imagine you've already checked all the obvious, mech timing adjustment for being correct, reel kick shoe for wear, reels stopping with all reel discs lined up for a proper alignment with the reel kick shoe for a proper kick action, proper operation of the reel kick assembly free moving, lubricated, spring tension, Etc.
As for picking the original Mills Bell lock, after 50 years doing this other than the ones that have been "modified" after dis-assembly, etc. the original Mills untouched locks have always escaped the workings of my lock pick set so no help there from this "Old Slot Mech", LOL!
I have always heard stories that the original Mills lock could be picked but have never visually witnessed it!
Who knows, someone here may have!
Oh, and the Serial number and inspection date are accurate for leaving the factory April, May of 1946!
BONA FORTUNA
MONTI
Attachments
DSCF0002.JPG
DSCF0001.JPG
DSCF0003.JPG
marsonion

Postby mazzeosa17 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:32 pm

Marsonion, I couldn't tell if you have the large tension spring attached (that goes from the bracket the reel brakes are on to the Operating Fork). Looking from the back of the mechanism, it's between the first and second reel brake, if you count the reel brakes from right to left. If you're missing that big spring, the reels often don't kick off. If you need me to send a photo from one of my machines, please let me know.
Sal
mazzeosa17

Postby mazzeosa17 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:53 pm

Here's a photo of the large tension spring I'm referring to from one of my Mills slot machines. It's between the first and second reel brake, if you count the reel brakes from right to left. It's got a bolt and two wing nuts attached on one end, with the other end attached to the Operating Fork Assembly.
Sal
Attachments
IMG_0800.JPG
mazzeosa17

Postby marsonion » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:57 pm

Is that the strange, loosey-goosey-looking spring between the back bar and the brake-wire strip? I'll look into that-- thanks!

mazzeosa17 wrote:Marsonion, I couldn't tell if you have the large tension spring attached (that goes from the bracket the reel brakes are on to the Operating Fork). Looking from the back of the mechanism, it's between the first and second reel brake, if you count the reel brakes from right to left. If you're missing that big spring, the reels often don't kick off. If you need me to send a photo from one of my machines, please let me know.
Sal

Added note: Looks like our messages crossed! Thanks again-- I'll look into that right away.
Attachments
mechback.JPG
Last edited by marsonion on Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marsonion

Postby MONTI » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:34 pm

Marsonion!
Nice machine, here is a blow up of the Mills reel kick assembly and springs thereon!
Blow up of Mills mech from our dear departed friend Tom Krahl's parts catalog!
Still miss speaking with him or Ralph!
Hope this helps!
MONTI

MILLS concerning reel kick springs1.jpg
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby marsonion » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:35 pm

mazzeosa17 wrote:Here's a photo of the large tension spring I'm referring to from one of my Mills slot machines. It's between the first and second reel brake, if you count the reel brakes from right to left. It's got a bolt and two wing nuts attached on one end, with the other end attached to the Operating Fork Assembly.
Sal

WOW did that make a difference! Thanks, Sal!

It looks like somebody, some time ago, for whatever reason, replaced that extension spring with a couple of compression springs, and used some funny bent wire hooks to make them act like extension springs. I found an adequate-looking extension spring and installed it in place of that mess, and... immediate rejuvenation ensued!

Now, let this be a lesson to all of the confused and confounded would-be slot mechanics out there: Don't Waste Time Dicking Around with a Sick Mechanism-- GO TO THE FORUM FIRST!!!
marsonion

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions