Correct Color, Texture for Vest Pocket

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Correct Color, Texture for Vest Pocket

Postby El Miguel » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:02 pm

New member; great website! On a slow learning curve with several machines I've needed to get to for years now, so here I go...

VP found at a local antique mall followed me home. Mechanism works great but I am missing a spring on the jackpot pawl (item 63 on the Mills service manual, I believe). I'm guessing it just needs a light pull and I'll check the local Ace Hdw which may have the spring I need. I've gotten a couple for a jukebox that's in the works as well.

The cabinet paint is pretty wretched and it appears it was originally a hammertone silver/gray with blue hammertone ends, judging from the overspray inside. The serial number is 36XXX.

I'm seeing a lot of repaint variations on the web, from fire engine red to drab olive and everything in between. Would the above colors be the way to go, with Rustoleum's Hammertone paint? I've repainted turntable decks and a couple of other items and like the way it dries out. The smooth finishes look nice as well but were any of these machines painted with a smooth finish originally?

Finally, the award card's 'kinda' rusty. Do I sand with 200 grit and work out to 3 - 4 finer grits, polish and repaint or what're the options here?

Thanks in advance and glad to be able to read all the topics; wonderful site!
El Miguel

Re: Correct Color, Texture for Vest Pocket

Postby 63mini » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:31 am

El Miguel,

Welcome to the forum. In regard to your VP award card. If you can post a photo of it, I may be able to direct you. I have redone 6 or 7 of them. All of the ones I have done were nickel plated brass. So, you need to be careful if you plan to do any sanding. It can cause damage to the brass below and possibly loose definition on the stampings.

Some of the award cards just needed a good polishing and a couple I had to strip and do a DIY nickel plating to them. I have only seen one that was too corroded/pitted to redo. Below are two I did for a friend. Some of the scratched had to stay as they were too deep to repair. The last photo shows one in the DIY nickel solution.

As for the hammered paint. It seems that some of the colors (i.e. blue) are getting hard to get. Gold and Silver are common and easy to get. I personally prefer the "Hammerite" brand over Rust Oleum as it seems to work better for me. I recently did a trade stimulator using Hammerite blue and Rust Oleum silver, and the texture was much better on the blue than the silver. But it might just be me.
Attachments
MarkJ_VP_awardcard_4.jpg
VP_Award_3.jpg
63mini

Re: Correct Color, Texture for Vest Pocket

Postby El Miguel » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:35 pm

That's some beautiful, painstaking work!
My card is steel which shows the rust pretty well. Think I can sand enough and leave the incising intact?
My local Ace Hdw is supposed to get the light blue hammertone in tomorrow but if not, I'll definitely go with the Hammerite you recommend.

Best regards,

Michael
Attachments
Screenshot_20220121-172324_Gallery.jpg
El Miguel

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions