Mills Castle Gold Award Version

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Mills Castle Gold Award Version

Postby Bally Bill » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:33 pm

Hello all, I "am trying to confirm that my Mills Castle has the correct Escalator that would accept the Gold Tokens if and when I find the reproduction or original tokens in the future. I have found some Mills Castle images online and it appears to be correct but some input from the other Mills collectors would be helpful. Thank you for looking! Bally Bill
Attachments
Mills Castle Gold Award escalator.jpg
Mills Castle Gold Award escalator 1.jpg
Bally Bill

Re: Mills Castle Gold Award Version

Postby oldslotman » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:45 pm

Bally Bill wrote:Hello all, I "am trying to confirm that my Mills Castle has the correct Escalator that would accept the Gold Tokens if and when I find the reproduction or original tokens in the future. I have found some Mills Castle images online and it appears to be correct but some input from the other Mills collectors would be helpful. Thank you for looking! Bally Bill

Gold award token do not go in the escalator. They are hand loaded into the token vendor.
oldslotman

Postby Bally Bill » Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:42 pm

Hi, Yes it must have had the side token vendor at one time because the case has empty bolt holes and a wooden patch
Attachments
Mills Castle 5 cent.jpg
Mills Castle side view.jpg
Mills Castle side view 1.jpg
Bally Bill

Postby jmac » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:19 pm

Looks like you have the gold award vender, but your award card doesn't show the GA and I don't see any GA symbols on your reels. You might want to check your reels for GA symbols, and see if your mech supports tripping the GA vender.

You can test the vender with a similiar diameter coin (50c? or poker chip?), try working it through with your finger first.
jmac

Postby Bally Bill » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:32 pm

Hi Jmac, No GA symbols on reels or Award card, I can only assume sometime during its slot life parts were removed with reel strips and award card replaced. I did see 2 holes welded closed on the #3 reel (far right) which might be for the GA payout holes but this is just my observation. I "am a little hesitate of adding the GA reel strips and screwing up the payout sequence even if I mark the reel symbols from beginning to end. I wish you could trace the machines history via the serial number on front or the S/N number on the reel mechanism.
Attachments
Mills Castle 5 cent reel set in case.jpg
Mills Castle 5 cent reel serial number.jpg
Bally Bill

Postby Dave » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:29 pm

The gold award mechanism is not activated by holes in the payout discs. Rather there are slits on the end of the discs which allow the push bar to move forward and hit the gold award dispensing mechanism that is connected to the casting.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Bally Bill » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:34 am

Hi Dave, Thank you for clarifying the Gold award reel operation sequence, I will remove the mechanism after work today and check for those slits on the disk and post a picture IF they exist. Best Regards Bill
Bally Bill

Postby flyingfred » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:40 am

If the slits are like my hightop 777 payout, they will be very obvious as the slits will be in the teeth on the reels. You do not need to remove the mech to see them.

-Fred-
flyingfred

Postby nvmos2 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:27 pm

Bally Bill;

Forgive me if you already know this, but it appears from your posts that you do not:

For your gold award feature to work, not only do you need proper reel strips, but you need proper payout disks (with the slits) and the push bar attached to the disk lock lever, both of which Dave mentioned.
The horizontal top of the lock lever goes into the slits (or slots), one on each disk to detect gold award symbols on the reel strips.
When the 3 slots are aligned, the lock lever goes forward enough to allow the push bar to go forward enough to trip the token dispenser (on the front casting).

Check out the video on Youtube: Reel Bundle Help.
It was made to address how the payout fingers work, but he uses a gold award mechanism.
He does not cover how the gold award works, but in the first 2 minutes, you can clearly see the slot in the first payout disk just above the spring on the lock lever,
and you can also see the rear end of the push bar attached to the side of the lock lever (with a shoulder screw) just below the spring.
At the 4 minute point of the video, you get a clear view of the slot in the payout disk a little higher up.
nvmos2

Postby Bally Bill » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:51 pm

Hello Nvmos2,Yes you are correct regarding my limited knowledge of the Mills slot machine line or any other model from this era. I was hoping to see if I might have gotten lucky with my Mills Castle having the Gold award option and was searching for confirmation which you and the other forum member have validated with this forum posting. I look forward to viewing the video that you have recommend to gain more insight into my newfound Mills slot machine and this very interesting hobby. Best Regards Bill
Bally Bill

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions